Peacock for my wife

heppnerguy

3 hours ago, preprius said:

holey birds.   

Dick that took 36 hours just for all feathers.   Was that like 4 hours a day?   

in the hot desert or in the weee hours of the morning.

I walk in the  early mornings and any shop time I can get is in the afternoons. It is a tad bit warm here, with 109 degrees the coolest temperature forecasted for the next 7 days.  Psst.... don't tell anyone but I have a mini split air conditioner in my  shop so I get cool air blowing on me when I am in there. 

Dick

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

Only an hour for the 50 holes - who are you?  Speedy Gonzales???  Looks amazing by the way!!

No I take my time but the holes are quite small so it doesn't take very long to cut them.  Besides I cut this from 1/8th inch BB Ply using a #3 blade, so the blade gets through the holes almost as fast as I get them in the drilled holes.

Dick

heppnerguy

7 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

That is crazy good Dick.  Love the design.

Yeh. I loved the pattern when I first saw it. It was a little difficult to obtain but I got lucky. However the pattern was not a very clear pattern and I had to kind of guess where I needed to cut some of the time. I have to confess that I ignored some of the smaller holes as it left too small of a space and with as many as I did cut, I did not want it to fall apart and waist my time. I bet you could do this one really well, with your skill.

Dick

heppnerguy

My wife walked in the room while I was looking at it and is intrigued.  So, one question: what size is it?  And, where can I get the pattern?  

We have a forecasted high of 101 here for the next several days.  I have a small wall-mounted AC in my shop and it is marginally adequate for this.  I am looking for an upgrade to that.  

14 hours ago, Dak0ta52 said:

I kneel before you Master!!! That is one awesome piece. The way the pattern is were you able to stack cut any of this?

I wouldn't even want to attempt stack cutting this... mess up one, mess up too many.....I rarely stack cut, mainly because I enjoy my hobby and I really do not enjoy cutting ones for no reason than to save time should I decide I might sell one. For me, a long time ago I did a couple of public sales with a booth and a lot of items i cut in hopes to sell them. What I discovered was, for me, cutting in hopes to sell an item, was turning what I  enjoyed and had fun doing and I found out it when from a fun hobby to 'work'. Not what I was after in my hobby.

I get a lot of pleasure when someone sees something I made and wants to buy one of them from me. Then I am making something because it sold itself and the pleasure of making it, is now the result of a fun hobby, not built on hope to sell.. That is just me and I just did not find it pleasurable to try and make it as an extra income, even though I probably could use the money. Maybe that does not make much sense to you or a lot of other people, but it works for  me.  Thanks for the question and for taking the time to read my (crazy)  answer

Dick

heppnerguy

12 hours ago, munzieb said:

Astounding! Perserverence pays off. Time to go back to something more simple to rest your eyes.

I owe a lot to you. I have slowed way down and have found the challenges to be the most rewarding upon finishing a project that I thought was too much work for the time needed to make them. I have so many patterns I want to cut but I get my pleasures out of  making 'gifts' and having someone order something they have seen me make. I don't have room to cut all the patterns I want to cut and having a box full of cut items for no real reason, just is not my cup of tea, so to speak.

Dick

heppnerguy

9 hours ago, daveww1 said:

amazing job, it's beautiful

I was rather taken with the pattern when I saw it the first time. I knew I needed to cut it and when I showed it to my wife, she really liked it also. Because of all the wonderful things she has done for me in the over 60 years of our married life, how could I not take the effort  and see if I could possibly make it for her?  Glad you like it too

Dick

heppnerguy

9 hours ago, TAIrving said:

My wife walked in the room while I was looking at it and is intrigued.  So, one question: what size is it?  And, where can I get the pattern?  

We have a forecasted high of 101 here for the next several days.  I have a small wall-mounted AC in my shop and it is marginally adequate for this.  I am looking for an upgrade to that.  

First of all, we are in the mid 100's here in Southern Arizona with 114 in the forcast this coming weekend, for a couple of days and 106 as our lowest daily high as far as they forecast, so I understand what you are talking about. My shop is a double car garage and I purchased a mini split for it that was already filled and ready to go. It had the largest cooling capacity I could find and it can also work as a heater, is need be. I installed it myself and it was up and going in about two hours. It is also powered by 110 so I did not have to rewire for it.

I will PM you about the pattern, as I  do not have the information as to whom I got it from. I believe the pattern maker was from somewhere in Europe but it has no credits anywhere on the pattern. I believe I  enlarged it to approx. 18 inches across on the main tail feathers, not counting the extra ones on the outside of the main feathers. I used Inkscape and imported the pattern as one page and then increased the feathers to the size I wanted them to be. After I printed them out, (in three different parts, because it was all my printer would allow) I merely moved the other parts to the printing window and printed the body parts. This method made all the parts stay in conjunction with each other.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 6/7/2022 at 1:11 PM, goldfish said:

End result was well worth the effort. That has to be one of many a record for the most holes in a project.

I have done a couple that probably are close to the same number of holes or maybe more. I really do not usually count my time or the holes cut. I got a really nice, detailed Eiffel Tower pattern that had a large amount of detail and holes and the tower clock also has about the same number of holes in it. So not really certain which of those has the most holes in it. The difference in this project is the pattern is not really clear and it becomes a little bit of guess work in the peacock, making it a little more challenging. I too believe the patterns with many holes and details are the most satisfying ones to cut because of the end results.

Thanks for the nice comments though. I appreciate that you even took the time to write them.

Dick

heppnerguy