Help! I need Help!

OCtoolguy

Once again, The People's Republic of California has bitten me in the butt. All I want is some denatured alcohol to remove some shellac finish. I can't buy it because I'm not old enough to understand why it's so bad for me. Can anybody give me any suggestions on how to dissolve the light shellac finish I sprayed on my latest project. I have to remove it because the padauk sanding dust got into the maple and has bled the red into the white. I learned a huge lesson here but that's beside the point. I need some help on what to do since I'm too stupid to understand the state laws. Absolutely absurd laws here. So, I'm begging for help. Thanks to anybody who has a constructive suggestion.

10 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Once again, The People's Republic of California has bitten me in the butt. All I want is some denatured alcohol to remove some shellac finish. I can't buy it because I'm not old enough to understand why it's so bad for me. Can anybody give me any suggestions on how to dissolve the light shellac finish I sprayed on my latest project. I have to remove it because the padauk sanding dust got into the maple and has bled the red into the white. I learned a huge lesson here but that's beside the point. I need some help on what to do since I'm too stupid to understand the state laws. Absolutely absurd laws here. So, I'm begging for help. Thanks to anybody who has a constructive suggestion.

Move!

Are you all aware that Home Depot now sells small stills? Maybe you could make your own alcohol for future projects and party enjoyment since the result is Not Denatured. (DIY Ever Clear!!).

I guess the alternative is to have a woodworking buddy in Arizona meet you at the State Line for a picnic and exchange.

Charley

2 hours ago, CharleyL said:

Are you all aware that Home Depot now sells small stills? Maybe you could make your own alcohol for future projects and party enjoyment since the result is Not Denatured. (DIY Ever Clear!!).

I guess the alternative is to have a woodworking buddy in Arizona meet you at the State Line for a picnic and exchange.

Charley

Oh yep,,, hick, I am aware....!

Use 91% isopropyl alcohol if you can get it. Everclear (95% alcohol) is perfect though expensive. You can buy Everclear at a liquor store. There are lots of others that may work, but they may damage your project. 

Everclear is a brand name for rectified spirit, also known as grain alcohol or neutral spirit, produced by the American company Luxco. It's made from grain, typically corn, and bottled at various alcohol-by-volume (ABV) levels.

Just out of curiosity, I checked my local Florida big box stores to see what the current price for alcohol was. Neither Lowes nor Homedepot have any. What is up with that, I wonder?

Ace Hardware has it in 5-gallon cans, and I can buy it in gallons on Amazon for $30. I need to check the price for Everclear.😁

The big box stores here in the Republic of Texas also do not have denatured alcohol.  So how are we to make our own shellac?

BTW Ray @OCtoolguy,the alcohol dissolves the pigment from paduak.  You do not have paduak sawdust in your maple, you have paduak pigment in your maple.  Using alcohol to remove the shellac will only dissolve more paduak pigment and make the problem even worse.  Regrets, but I do not have a solution to how to get the paduak pigment out of the maple.  

7 minutes ago, TAIrving said:

The big box stores here in the Republic of Texas also do not have denatured alcohol.  So how are we to make our own shellac?

BTW Ray @OCtoolguy,the alcohol dissolves the pigment from paduak.  You do not have paduak sawdust in your maple, you have paduak pigment in your maple.  Using alcohol to remove the shellac will only dissolve more paduak pigment and make the problem even worse.  Regrets, but I do not have a solution to how to get the paduak pigment out of the maple.  

This is so true. I do not know the project you refer to but is it possible to use a card scrapper or other small fine scrappers to remove not only the shellac but will better than sand your final piece. In the turning world when people do segmented work they do not sand mixed woods. they use sharp tools to remove tool marks and also get down to final size and shape. Good luck

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

12 hours ago, preprius said:

Hey, Mark, does the borax burn as much as ever clear going down the gullet? 🤣