How can I turn a variable speed grinder into a wheel sander with chucks added to it?

MarieC

21 hours ago, MarieC said:

Barb, I did see your fliptop build and your sander.  When I saw your sander, I really liked it so I thought I would make one as well. Since it sounds difficult, I think I am going to go with suggestions on this thread..... I think I am going to get the Foredom but am also inquiring about the King Arthur's Guinevere one:   https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/KX11340/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2KitBhCIARIsAPPMEhJGQxWEgl7M-WHc1lRgIpNHgOXmXKJqpDpgxfMXZjhVTMkALOlcwqMaAgpzEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

What part sounded difficult?  Don't forget, I am in Canada and in Winnipeg (at least) it seems very challenging to find what you folks in the States seem to be able to get at the corner store😅.  

Barb, I wrote the previous quote which shows up on my computer.....the "since it sounds difficult"  I do not see that on this thread.... 

On 1/19/2024 at 4:17 PM, MarieC said:

Melanie, thank you for all the helpful information.  I did contact the Guinevere tech and he pretty much said the same thing as you and that you could not attach any variable speed device to it.   

So, just for clarification, when you stated: if I was starting out with one, I would go with the larger grinder with the flex drum sanders, is there a particular Grinder you would recommend such as the Rikon that Dave Monk has or are you talking about the Foredom or something else?  Thank you for the link as well.

Marie, the “grinder with the flex drum sanders” I use is an 8” Delta or Rikon. I don’t recall specifically which and it is presently packed away as we moved and await building a new shop.  The main thing I was referring too is that i would want a larger grinder and that it be variable speed. The larger sanding sleeves and variable speed gives you more sanding ability than the smaller Foredom. When I researched this when I did mine, the brand of the grinder didn’t seem to be an issue. Variable speed is key and one that is sized to take the flex drum sanders.

45 minutes ago, meflick said:

Marie, the “grinder with the flex drum sanders” I use is an 8” Delta or Rikon. I don’t recall specifically which and it is presently packed away as we moved and await building a new shop.  The main thing I was referring too is that i would want a larger grinder and that it be variable speed. The larger sanding sleeves and variable speed gives you more sanding ability than the smaller Foredom. When I researched this when I did mine, the brand of the grinder didn’t seem to be an issue. Variable speed is key and one that is sized to take the flex drum sanders.

Melanie, so I did some checking of 8" grinders.  The Rikon, Bauer, and delta variable speed grinders only go to 2000 RPM as their slowest setting, Whereas, the Rikon slow one speed grinder is 1750.  Since I am a newbie to the sanders, would you still want the variable speed or go to the Slower one speed Rikon.  What do you think of this Rikon buffer?  https://www.woodcraft.com/products/8-low-speed-buffer?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-62tBhDSARIsAO7twbYDN8IdQ8saSMpthyUl6DYopdQTle6Wnq7H5tXrXgoHEVofWTyEeAcaAiafEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

On 1/19/2024 at 4:18 PM, Dave Monk said:

https://intarsia.com/products/flex-drum-sander This will fit  a 5/8 shaft of a grinder. 

Dave, another question....what do you think of the Rikon slow speed buffer https://pitexo.com/product/rikon-8-low-speed-buffer-1750-rpm/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-62tBhDSARIsAO7twbaWE5-sBO40PAHb5Hw_uJCtiFvlnCZ1z4Pl84vkkv3_xSHU7k2r-EIaAvfuEALw_wcB

or are the arms too long to put the adapers on? They seem to be less expensive than the grinders.  Also, note @rjweb question a couple of messages earlier in this thread.  Thanks!

57 minutes ago, MarieC said:

Dave, another question....what do you think of the Rikon slow speed buffer https://pitexo.com/product/rikon-8-low-speed-buffer-1750-rpm/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-62tBhDSARIsAO7twbaWE5-sBO40PAHb5Hw_uJCtiFvlnCZ1z4Pl84vkkv3_xSHU7k2r-EIaAvfuEALw_wcB

or are the arms too long to put the adapers on? They seem to be less expensive than the grinders.  Also, note @rjweb question a couple of messages earlier in this thread.  Thanks!

I know nothing about the buffer. I bought the grinder two years ago at Rockler and got a deal and it was only about $110. Looks like it is $199 now which is about the same price as the buffer. Looks like grizzly has one for $109.

14 hours ago, MarieC said:

Melanie, so I did some checking of 8" grinders.  The Rikon, Bauer, and delta variable speed grinders only go to 2000 RPM as their slowest setting, Whereas, the Rikon slow one speed grinder is 1750.  Since I am a newbie to the sanders, would you still want the variable speed or go to the Slower one speed Rikon.  What do you think of this Rikon buffer?  https://www.woodcraft.com/products/8-low-speed-buffer?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-62tBhDSARIsAO7twbYDN8IdQ8saSMpthyUl6DYopdQTle6Wnq7H5tXrXgoHEVofWTyEeAcaAiafEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

For me personally, I have never found the slowest speed on my grinder to be too fast as I did on the Guinevere. However, I have found the ability to adjust my speed up or down as I can with a variable speed versus a one speed only grinder to be beneficial. Just as with my scroll saw, I find it good to be able to adjust my speed depending on the project. Sometimes I need to cut slower, sometimes I can bump up the speed, it depends on the type of project, it’s detail, the wood being used, how thick,etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 7:16 PM, rjweb said:

Marie did you buy the Bauer bench grinder and set it up, RJ

RJ, from what everyone said it just doesn't go as slow as I would like.  So I am considering the the one here by Foredom: https://intarsia.com/collections/hardware/products/foredom-variable-speed-bench-lathe?variant=31902373806123

But I like the option that Dave has of putting on a chuck to change to a larger diameter shaft...so I just don't know.  I know with Dave's idea it would require a machinist to make a piece, which I am not oppose to having done.  It's just that it still runs at 1750 RPMs where as the Foredom goes down to 500 RPMs..... I decided that the Bauer could work that way and it can go faster (which I am not interested in) and I really like the quality of Rikon....I have a few of their tools...Would like to know your thoughts? 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Okay I have search every word I can think  to find  my post about this, where I had the privilege of having my son's neighbor John Callies make me an adaptor for this problem.  He did, and it took less time for him than it did for my son to go to the store and back!  This is what he did, it works great.   He added an extension on to the the attachment  I had that did not work.  This works great.  Now the only problem I see is My grinder is a slow speed, but I think 1750 rpms is still too fast.   I think on the other side of my "slow speed grinder". I will add a shaft in pillow bocks with a step pulley on both the grinder arbor and the shaft in the pillow blocks so I will have an option on the speeds.  May never get that done.  But a thought. So for now this is my solution and grateful for it.  The price was right.... cost me nothing.  John Callies is a great neighbor to my son.   I also show this so it you have to go to a machinist to have one made like @Dave Monk did may this is a cheaper alternative to show them.  I am trying to figure a way to repay John Callies.  Maybe a scrolled picture of his cars or something.

9C193076-12F4-4618-8EF5-A88511DD65A8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Okay. Okay I have search every word I can think  to find  my post about this, where I had the privilege of having my son's neighbor John Callies make me an adaptor for this problem.  He did, and it took less time for him than it did for my son to go to the store and back!  This is what he did, it works great.   He added an extension on to the the attachment  I had that did not work.  This works great.  Now the only problem I see is My grinder is a slow speed, but I think 1750 rpms is still too fast.   I think on the other side of my "slow speed grinder". I will add a shaft in pillow bocks with a step pulley on both the grinder arbor and the shaft in the pillow blocks so I will have an option on the speeds.  May never get that done.  But a thought. So for now this is my solution and grateful for it.  The price was right.... cost me nothing.  John Callies is a great neighbor to my son.   I also show this so it you have to go to a machinist to have one made like @Dave Monk did may this is a cheaper alternative to show them.  I am trying to figure a way to repay John Callies.  Maybe a scrolled picture of his cars or something.

Very nice. Does the new piece go inside the old piece?

On 3/1/2024 at 5:07 PM, Scrappile said:

Wow!  It looks great!  Paul, where did you get the piece that he welded to in the first place?  Was that from Grizzly? 

On 1/20/2024 at 6:50 PM, rjweb said:

Dave, why didn't you use what JGR offers instead of having to get something custom made, RJ

I think that is a nice little outfit but you are limited to 1/4" shaft things. It also only rated at 1/6 HP. I don't think that would hold up using mac mops and that type of sanding accessories. 

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

I think that is a nice little outfit but you are limited to 1/4" shaft things. It also only rated at 1/6 HP. I don't think that would hold up using mac mops and that type of sanding accessories. 

And it turned too fast for me same as the Guinevere sanding system.  

5 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Dave, I do not really remember. Maybe eBay, or a place out of Canada that sell such stuff, that right now I cannot remember the name of some that ends in "supply" discussed on here sometimes.  Possibility to explore. Is going to a local trade school or junior college where they teach machinists and asking a student if they need a project and  will build one for a small fee.  I know our local JR college had such a thing years ago.  My Brother went through the coarse.. Built himself the neatest little .22 cal derringer pistol.  He could have made something for this with his eyes closed.  Then he went on to become a sheet metal worker.... how boring..

26 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

@Scrappile, this is the chuck I purchased to put on my 1750rpm bench grinder.  https://stockroomsupply.com/products/keyless-chuck?_pos=4&_sid=e727707be&_ss=r.  It hold my mop sander on the right hand side. 

The flex drum kit fit on the left hand side. 

Pretty sure that is the one I purchased.