How can I turn a variable speed grinder into a wheel sander with chucks added to it?

MarieC

I saw this Bauer variable speed Grinder on Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-variable-speed-bench-grinder-with-led-work-light-59300.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12126402660&campaignid=12126402660&utm_content=150898466087&adsetid=150898466087&product=59300&store=296&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAkp6tBhB5EiwANTCx1CAPZn4gZf1MJF3h19Jf27AYpON2nDSzJsIjBGvmWa_oltvlBUffNRoCpIUQAvD_BwE

I would like to make a sander where I can add chucks on both sides.  I saw this chuck on the Grizzly website for a 5/8 arbor (which is the same as the Bauer one).  Has anyone tried this?  Is there a better choice out there?  Can I only use the chuck on the right side due to the the way the threads turn?   I like the idea of variable speed for sanding so that is why I was looking at this.  Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

image.thumb.png.ec737f1584b5f348ddea0058ba0c2cc5.png

The chucks are installed on the right hand side because of the direction the rotation of the motor relates to the direction the threads of the chuck turn. If you want a chuck on both sides either find a left handed threaded chuck or use a keyed chuck. The keyless chuck will be a PIA because they will constantly be trying to loosen up, the keyed chucks can be tightened more than the keyless chuck and "should" work.

50 minutes ago, MarieC said:

I saw this Bauer variable speed Grinder on Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-variable-speed-bench-grinder-with-led-work-light-59300.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12126402660&campaignid=12126402660&utm_content=150898466087&adsetid=150898466087&product=59300&store=296&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAkp6tBhB5EiwANTCx1CAPZn4gZf1MJF3h19Jf27AYpON2nDSzJsIjBGvmWa_oltvlBUffNRoCpIUQAvD_BwE

I would like to make a sander where I can add chucks on both sides.  I saw this chuck on the Grizzly website for a 5/8 arbor (which is the same as the Bauer one).  Has anyone tried this?  Is there a better choice out there?  Can I only use the chuck on the right side due to the the way the threads turn?   I like the idea of variable speed for sanding so that is why I was looking at this.  Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

image.thumb.png.ec737f1584b5f348ddea0058ba0c2cc5.png

So far I have had no luck with that kind of setup.  The allen screws on those tighten down on the threads on the arbor, and it wobbles badly.  ruins the threads on the arbor also.  That is the experience I have had.  I have found a threaded chuck yet that will thread directly to my arbor.

Edited by Scrappile

6 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Thank you for responding to my questions.....I have a couple of belt sanders one big one and a little one like the one in your link and a disc sander, but to do smaller intarsia type pieces, they do not work well for me especially about corners or if I want to do a bowl they don't really work too well.  I could use my drill press or my lathe but would rather not have to set all that up to do sanding each time I want to sand (call me a bit lazy :)).  I would like to have a stand alone system that I can adjust the speed and be able to use two hands to hold my piece while sanding.  Thanks again!

Edited by MarieC

6 hours ago, Wichman said:

The chucks are installed on the right hand side because of the direction the rotation of the motor relates to the direction the threads of the chuck turn. If you want a chuck on both sides either find a left handed threaded chuck or use a keyed chuck. The keyless chuck will be a PIA because they will constantly be trying to loosen up, the keyed chucks can be tightened more than the keyless chuck and "should" work.

That is very helpful to know.  I kind of thought that about that regarding the right handed chuck.  Would love to find a key chuck that can mount onto the arbor if you know of any please let me know.  Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

So far I have had no luck with that kind of setup.  The allen screws on those tighten down on the threads on the arbor, and it wobbles badly.  ruins the threads on the arbor also.  That is the experience I have had.  I have found a threaded chuck yet that will thread directly to my arbor.

Paul, I am sorry to hear that yours is wobbly.  I saw it when I was in your shop this last summer...is that the one you are speaking about?   I have a really good friend who teaches welding at one of our Highschools (he is a retired engineer).  Anyway, I wonder if I had him weld something together that might actually screw onto the arbor rather than use the allen screws.  I could also go to a local Machinist and have them make me something....wish my Dad was still around he had his own Machinist/Tool and Die business. He could make just about anything out of metal that you needed.

2 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

How about buying a buffer instead? 

Ray I have a buffer I use for auto body repairs, but I have to use two hand to hold onto that bugger.  I think you must me talking about a different kind of buffer...can you turn it into a sander so you can but a mop on one side and a drum on the other?

35 minutes ago, MarieC said:

Ray I have a buffer I use for auto body repairs, but I have to use two hand to hold onto that bugger.  I think you must me talking about a different kind of buffer...can you turn it into a sander so you can but a mop on one side and a drum on the other?

Correct. The one I'm referring to looks like a bench grinder but it has longer shafts on either side and might run at a slower speed. I'm not sure. But if you want to install the long sanding drums it would space them out away from the body of the motor housing. Actually if you go to Judy Gale Roberts site, intarsia.com, she has what you want. Check it out.

2 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

This is what I was talking about. I went out to her site and found this.

https://intarsia.com/collections/hardware/products/foredom-variable-speed-bench-lathe?variant=31902373806123

Ray,  Thank you, that is interesting....I did look at the reviews and read something about it having trouble with the motor overheating since it is 1/6 HP and the Bauer one is 3/4 HP....do you have any knowledge of that or know of anyone that does....thank you so much for pointing this out.....:)

Edited by MarieC

HF has an 8" polisher with a 3/4 hp motor. They also sell a speed controller (for routers) that is well within the amperage rating of the polisher. I would call the HF technical number and ask if they are compatible.

The motor needs to be a "universal" motor for the speed controller to work.

The Foredom machine ( 500-7000) has a much larger variation in speed than the HF grinder (2000-3450), so there's that.

Edited by Wichman

1 hour ago, MarieC said:

Ray,  Thank you, that is interesting....I did look at the reviews and read something about it having trouble with the motor overheating since it is 1/6 HP and the Bauer one is 3/4 HP....do you have any knowledge of that or know of anyone that does....thank you so much for pointing this out.....:)

No, I have no knowledge other than seeing it in her videos.

1 hour ago, Wichman said:

HF has an 8" polisher with a 3/4 hp motor. They also sell a speed controller (for routers) that is well within the amperage rating of the polisher. I would call the HF technical number and ask if they are compatible.

The motor needs to be a "universal" motor for the speed controller to work.

The Foredom machine ( 500-7000) has a much larger variation in speed than the HF grinder (2000-3450), so there's that.

That variation in speed is huge...thank you for pointing that out and the other info.  Thanks again! 

The Foredom has what appears to be a DC motor. DC motors are much better for speed control. More torque at lower speeds and more precise control. DC motors are used in the Pegas and EX-21 scroll saws and many other variable-speed devices.

The Foredom would be my choice. The DC motor plus the available accessories...

It just got added to my wish list. 

20 hours ago, Wichman said:

Thanks for this info.   I just recently built a flip top cart to house a bench grinder, turned into sanding station and my belt sander.  I put the sanding mop on the left side.  First time I used the flex shaft sander, on the right side, I saw movement on the left.  When I turned the grinder off, the flaps of the mop were all over the workroom.🤣.  First task today is to change the grinder!!

9 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Thanks for this info.   I just recently built a flip top cart to house a bench grinder, turned into sanding station and my belt sander.  I put the sanding mop on the left side.  First time I used the flex shaft sander, on the right side, I saw movement on the left.  When I turned the grinder off, the flaps of the mop were all over the workroom.🤣.  First task today is to change the grinder!!

Barb, I did see your fliptop build and your sander.  When I saw your sander, I really liked it so I thought I would make one as well. Since it sounds difficult, I think I am going to go with suggestions on this thread..... I think I am going to get the Foredom but am also inquiring about the King Arthur's Guinevere one:   https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/KX11340/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2KitBhCIARIsAPPMEhJGQxWEgl7M-WHc1lRgIpNHgOXmXKJqpDpgxfMXZjhVTMkALOlcwqMaAgpzEALw_wcB

Edited by MarieC

Here's my setup. I like the Foredom but you are limited to 1/4" shaft accessories.  Most low speed grinders turn slower than one with variable speed.  The slower speed works well for me and I really have no use for one that goes faster.  I had this adapter made at a local machine shop. They charged me $100  which is plenty but well worth it to me. I have wheels on this cabinet so I can move it side to side for dust collection. 

Grinder.png

If you are interested in trying to use for Intarsia, I would recommend getting the flex drum sanders from Judy Gale Roberts site. This size is probably most versatile for larger intarsia pieces and I know hubby used for sanding other things. You buy a variable speed grinder from your local store, then purchase the flex drum sanders from her site.

I started out with that setup on a variable speed 8”  grinder purchased at my local HD or Lowes. I then got her wonder wheel to also use on it and we have I am pretty sure used a “flap” and “mop” sanders on one end. (It is presently in storage unfortunately as is most all are tools 🙃😔). Judy explain setting them up on her site here in her faq area:

https://intarsia.com/pages/faq

IMG_4277.thumb.jpeg.786d78d76737f4a19db2104b23584726.jpeg

i also have the Foredom setup she sells. I purchased it later for use on much smaller pieces. Both have their purposes in my opinion but if I was starting out with one, I would go with the larger grinder with the flex drum sanders for more versatility in my opinion.

i bought the Guinevere system before I actually took Intarsia lessons with JGR and learned how important variable speed was. The Guinevere is not variable speed and it is extremely high speed. I found it very difficult to control for my Intarsia needs. Hubby has used it on other work because it was there. But I regretted the purchase of the Guinevere for trying to sand Intarsia work. I much prefer the Flex drum sander on the variable speed grinder and the Foredom.

Edited by meflick

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Here's my setup. I like the Foredom but you are limited to 1/4" shaft accessories.  Most low speed grinders turn slower than one with variable speed.  The slower speed works well for me and I really have no use for one that goes faster.  I had this adapter made at a local machine shop. They charged me $100  which is plenty but well worth it to me. I have wheels on this cabinet so I can move it side to side for dust collection. 

Grinder.png

Thanks Dave....Yes, I did read that about the Foredom.  that is why I like the chuck idea....How is the other side set up?  did you have to have an adapter of the left side as well to hold your cylindrical drum sander?

3 hours ago, meflick said:

If you are interested in trying to use for Intarsia, I would recommend getting the flex drum sanders from Judy Gale Roberts site. This size is probably most versatile for larger intarsia pieces and I know hubby used for sanding other things. You buy a variable speed grinder from your local store, then purchase the flex drum sanders from her site.

I started out with that setup on a variable speed 8”  grinder purchased at my local HD or Lowes. I then got her wonder wheel to also use on it and we have I am pretty sure used a “flap” and “mop” sanders on one end. (It is presently in storage unfortunately as is most all are tools 🙃😔). Judy explain setting them up on her site here in her faq area:

https://intarsia.com/pages/faq

i also have the Foredom setup she sells. I purchased it later for use on much smaller pieces. Both have their purposes in my opinion but if I was starting out with one, I would go with the larger grinder with the flex drum sanders for more versatility in my opinion.

i bought the Guinevere system before I actually took Intarsia lessons with JGR and learned how important variable speed was. The Guinevere is not variable speed and it is extremely high speed. I found it very difficult to control for my Intarsia needs. Hubby has used it on other work because it was there. But I regretted the purchase of the Guinevere for trying to sand Intarsia work. I much prefer the Flex drum sander on the variable speed grinder and the Foredom.

Melanie, thank you for all the helpful information.  I did contact the Guinevere tech and he pretty much said the same thing as you and that you could not attach any variable speed device to it.   

So, just for clarification, when you stated: if I was starting out with one, I would go with the larger grinder with the flex drum sanders, is there a particular Grinder you would recommend such as the Rikon that Dave Monk has or are you talking about the Foredom or something else?  Thank you for the link as well.

Edited by MarieC

3 hours ago, MarieC said:

Thanks Dave....Yes, I did read that about the Foredom.  that is why I like the chuck idea....How is the other side set up?  did you have to have an adapter of the left side as well to hold your cylindrical drum sander?

https://intarsia.com/products/flex-drum-sander This will fit  a 5/8 shaft of a grinder.