leaving a legacy?

That is a good one!  And to me. turning 80 is short order. A good subject.  I have no idea what my kids/grandkids will have or care to have for remembering me.  I have several boxes of projects but who knows if or what any of them will want.  And really, does it matter as long as they remember me and say "he" /me was a wood worker?  Maybe if I am lucky they will throw in " He was a good woodworker.  I will smile from wherever I am!

Beautiful work!! I have a few of my fathers old scroll sawn items.. One being a wedding hearts with my wife and I's name on it and our wedding date. However it fell off the wall a few too many times and I ended up having to make it from another type of wood that is more sturdy. He had made it from oak and it likes to break along the grain too easily. 

Anyway, I have to say the most favorite things I have that he made is Christmas ornaments.. Every year at Christmas time we decorate the tree and it's as if he is here in the room with us as we dig out the ornaments and hang them on the tree. The other things I have hang on the wall year round and I guess they sort of get forgotten about so to speak but when I get the ornaments out.. just a special time of the year and remembering those loved ones that are no longer with us.. 

Here is a photo of the hearts I mentioned.. NOT Mine.. this is one I made for someone but this is what I was talking about. They are somewhat fragile even though it's 3/4" thick wood..  

wedding.png

Nice sentiments and ideas. I have very little family left so not sure where my stuff will wind up. But over the years I keep giving away both scrollsaw stuff and now tons of pens. Just gave my sister a gift for her new home she just moved into. I wonder if I will be remembered on any forums I belong to. Maybe a time or 2 my name will come up, good or bad. 

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

That is a lovely cutting you have shown.  

While it seems like a great idea, but why wait?  I would be gifting them now so they can appreciate it with you.

Why wait - because the youngest is still in high school.  Besides I remember cleaning out my parents place when they passed, and I would not want to deny them the same fun (sarcasm) 🙃

That's a cool idea! I love the eagles - intarsia is something I definitely want to try when I get more skill on the scroll saw.

1 hour ago, GrampaJim said:

Why wait - because the youngest is still in high school.  Besides I remember cleaning out my parents place when they passed, and I would not want to deny them the same fun (sarcasm) 🙃

My mom passed 2 weeks ago and I'm barely starting to go thru the crap... er, stuff 😝 she accumulated. In addition to what's in the house, she has a huge storage unit that is so full you can barely get in the door and some of it is stacked to the ceiling! Christmas village houses - dozens and dozens of them. Cookie jars, ditto. And OMG clothes and shoes. She called herself a collector; I think hoarder might be a better word. I have no idea what to do with it all. 

Edited by Liz Weir

22 hours ago, Liz Weir said:

That's a cool idea! I love the eagles - intarsia is something I definitely want to try when I get more skill on the scroll saw.

My mom passed 2 weeks ago and I'm barely starting to go thru the crap... er, stuff 😝 she accumulated. In addition to what's in the house, she has a huge storage unit that is so full you can barely get in the door and some of it is stacked to the ceiling! Christmas village houses - dozens and dozens of them. Cookie jars, ditto. And OMG clothes and shoes. She called herself a collector; I think hoarder might be a better word. I have no idea what to do with it all. 

Sorry for your loss.

Looking at his thread again I came up with a good idea.  My kids and grandkids have always told me about the big bond fire they are going to have to get rid of all the things I have made that no one wants.  I think I will come up with the ugliest thing I can find, make one for each package it up with a do not open until after I am in the ground... there will be a note with the ugly project that says if they do not hang it on a wall and leave it there forever I will come back and make their lives miserable.  Hide thing on them move things around in their homes you know to the haunted house thing on each of them..  This is going to be fun!🤣