Spring - Scroll Saw Challenge

spring_challenge_banner.jpg

Holy cow, it's May already!?  This month's challenge is celebrating Spring.  This is my favorite time of the year.  The shop warms up, birds are chirping, and things are turning green.  What does spring mean to you?  Post your project that sings Springtime: birds, scenery, Mother's Day, flowers...it's up to you!  Can't wait to see what you come up with!

With spring comes working in the yard, as we get older it sometimes is a pain, literally, to get up.

Here is a new pattern from Al Baggetta, his "Umph Bar" a devise to help you back on your feet.  20240510_115850.thumb.jpg.3e857f66df5c88827da4a6b382de6865.jpg:)

7/16" Elm, #1 Polar blades for the details, #3 Polar for the outside cuts. Detail "leaf" from a Steve Good Pattern.

Lots of construction going on around us these days (yay, progress...?), so its harder to hear the owls and coyotes at night, but we still have plenty of little critters, and the hummingbirds remember where my wife keeps the feeders.  Oh, and let us not forget the Texas springtime thunderstorms....

20200927_160950.jpg

20201031_144136.jpg

20201229_215613.jpg

20210313_163215.jpg

From Wikipedia: The Green Man, also known as a foliate head,[1] is a motif in architecture and art, of a face made of, or completely surrounded by, foliage, which normally spreads out from the centre of the face.[2] Apart from a purely decorative function, the Green Man is primarily interpreted as a symbol of rebirth, representing the cycle of new growth that occurs every spring.

green man.jpg

greenman.jpg

On 5/7/2024 at 6:25 AM, Scrappile said:

I have shown this before but it is sitting close by and I thought it really looked like spring.   And I have a real urge to make some birdhouses of I purchased some cedar boards a couple days age.  Little late for this years brood of babies but start for next spring.

birdhouse.jpg

birdhouse2.jpg

Very nice Paul. I want to make bird houses too.

On 5/18/2024 at 7:54 AM, RabidAlien said:

Lots of construction going on around us these days (yay, progress...?), so its harder to hear the owls and coyotes at night, but we still have plenty of little critters, and the hummingbirds remember where my wife keeps the feeders.  Oh, and let us not forget the Texas springtime thunderstorms....

20200927_160950.jpg

20201031_144136.jpg

20201229_215613.jpg

20210313_163215.jpg

Gorgeous!

This is my latest Intarsia piece.  Pattern found in the issue # 54 of Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts magazine, designer Gary MacKay.  Woods used Tigerwood, Maple, Canarywood, Quilted Maple, Sapelle. One generous coat of shellac.  Used many #5 MG blades.

20240525_145050.jpg

4 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

This is my latest Intarsia piece.  Pattern found in the issue # 54 of Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts magazine, designer Gary MacKay.  Woods used Tigerwood, Maple, Canarywood, Quilted Maple, Sapelle. One generous coat of shellac.  Used many #5 MG blades.

20240525_145050.jpg

Beautiful work!