Pattern Adhesive

Dave Monk

I have been using Loctite spray adhesive and I am having a problem getting my patterns off after they have set for a couple day.  My first project seemed like it was hard to keep the pattern from coming off while I was sawing.  The last couple I have used more glue and have had a problem getting them off.  Doesn't seem like acetone or thinner does much good to aid in removal or clean up of my project. Any help is appreciated. dave

I started using loctite spray after not being able to find what I was using. The spray i get is 200 and works well for me. some let go but tape down with clear tape and get it cut out. i used the 100 but that did not stay put at all. the 200 holds better i know there is a 300 but afraid I would be like you not able to remove it.

Thanks you all for the help. Don, you cover your wood with blue tape and glue your pattern to the tape, correct? Does the blue tape stick ok? I have been using the envirnment freindly thinner. I probably need to git the good stuff. dave

No, I do not use blue tape, I use Loctite 100 directly on the wood. I have found that the 100 needs lots of shaking and it works fine for me.

Don R

Hi Dave, you may be putting on a little more glue than

needed.I use Elmer spray glue from walmart.I just

give the paper a light spray and put it right on the wood

with no tape...to be honest, it peels off sometime withhout mineral spirits.

I haven't used tape in a long time.

Dave,

Here is my take on this. I used the blue painters tape for several years and loved it. I said to myself, I will NEVER change what I am doing. Then i saw a video on spraying the back of the pattern and gluing it directly on the wood then removing it with mineral spirit of paint thinner. It looked easy enough, but does it really work ????  Well, I reluctantly gave it a try and here is what I discovered.

1. My patterns went on well and stayed intact

2. after I was finished cutting my pattern I took a cheap foam brush and dampened it with paint thinner and brushed it on my remaining pattern

3. After waiting 15 seconds for the paint thinner to soften the glue, I found it almost fell off , in tact.

4. I thought this was better than sliced bread

caution: First sand the wood smooth and then wipe off all the sawdust with at rag, or blow it off with compressed air. Then I take my bare hand and wipe across the wood to make sure I have all the sawdust off. (Very important to be sure the pattern will stick well).  I lightly spray the back of my pattern and stick it in place. Rub the pattern after it is on the wood to make sure the entire surface is attached well. Then cut away.

Because the pattern comes off so well, you do not need to hand peel all the painters tape off. This saves a ton of  time, especially if you are doing a piece with lots of cuts. IF YOU PEEL OFF THE PATTERN BEFORE THE 15 SECONDS, YOU MAY FIND THAT A LITTLE BIT OF THE PATTERN STILL STICKS TO THE WOOD AND YOU WILL NEED TO PULL A LITTLE BIT TO GET IT OFF. If that happens, it means that the mineral spirits or paint thinner did  not absorb through the pattern. this may happen if you have a large pattern and you had overlapping pieces so that there is actually two layers of paper in that spot. NO problem. after you get the pattern off, simply take a rag lightly dipped in the mineral spirits or paint thinner and wipe the board, as pass or two and this will remove any residue that may be left behind. simply let it all dry before you sand it  or finish it . The time and worked saved with this method is tremendous.

I also buy CRC brand, spray adhesive at Harbor Freight for under $10 and it comes in a larger amount than any other spay adhesive I have seen anywhere, CRC is a very good brand name and not a Chinese import. You will see a lot of CRC in the auto parts stores in the for of brake cleaner and things like that. This works very well and is a  great buy.

I hope this helps you too

Dick

heppnerguy 

Been doing this for quite a few years. Apply clear packing tape to wood. Spray back of pattern with Elmers multi purpose adhesive, apply pattern, drill pilot holes and cut. After just peel off tape and everything comes off with no hassle or extra steps. Have left tape on wood for three days once with no issues. Any more than that and the tape might pull up the wood fibers when removing.

Been doing this for quite a few years. Apply clear packing tape to wood. Spray back of pattern with Elmers multi purpose adhesive, apply pattern, drill pilot holes and cut. After just peel off tape and everything comes off with no hassle or extra steps. Have left tape on wood for three days once with no issues. Any more than that and the tape might pull up the wood fibers when removing.

Another advantage to the system I was talking about is that it never pulls the wood fiber..I like that too. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Dave I have used several methods that have already been mentioned.   I'll just say I like using painters tape under the pattern if I want to apply a finish as soon as I get finished and also on hardwood cuttings that I apply packing tape over the pattern.   If that is not an issue than applying the pattern directly to the wood and using mineral spirits for removal also works fine. 

Dave, if acetone or thinner doesn't remove the glue, your just not giving it enough time to work right. It is not instantaneous, you have to give it time to work through the paper. If using acetone or thinner, it is best to watch the pattern paper. When the paper gets to be a bit translucent, lift the pattern off of the item. Then check to see if all of the glue lifted off with the pattern, or if the glue is still on the item. If the glue is still on the item, give it a final wipe with acetone/thinner to remove the remaining glue.

Len

I have been using the blue painters tape between pattern and wood. It does get a little "scary" when it comes time to removing the tape from the delicate frets. 90% of my fret work is done with Baltic birch plywood. For those of you that use paint thinner, does it affect the ply's on the plywood?

I don't use the blue painters tape. I hate having to scrape off all the little pieces of tape between frets.

I use the 3M 77 spray adhesive. Spray on the back of the pattern, let set for about 30 seconds, then apply to the bare wood. If I'm concerned about burning, I'll apply a layer of clear packing tape on top of the pattern.

After cutting, I spritz on some mineral spirits from a spray bottle. The pattern will come right off in about ten seconds. Wipe off the MS with a clean, soft cloth or paper towel, then your ready to sand.

Something that works quite well for removing painters tape from fragile areas of fretwork is a handheld hair dryer.   Heating the area allows for the adhesive to release easier.   Works well for projects you need to finish immediately and can't wait for solvent drying time.    

Edited by stoney