how serious are you about your scrolling hobby?

SCROLLSAW703

As I was sittin' at the saw this afternoon, finally finishing a project I've been workin' on for some time, a thought occurred to me. Am I takin' my scrollin' hobby to serious? I've not been able to spend much time in the shop, much less at the saw lately due to health conditions, family commitments, etc. 

The longer I thought about it, I became disgusted at first because in my 25 years of woodworking, I've made toy boxes for our grandkids, dressers, desks, beds, cedar chests, numerous shelving units, drawers for kitchens, etc. & I'm no longer able to do those things because of my back. I recently had surgery #2. Hell, I have to get help to move lumber anymore, & I'm just 51 years old. My sawbones told me this is a trophy of sittin' in a truck all my life. Such as it is.

As I sawed on, & slowly finally finished the project, I thought about it some more. And took a good look around my shop, looked at my all but new hawk bm - 26, & wondered if I was being to hard on myself, or taking my hobby to serious, or both? But then, as I sit there, asking God why all this happened, I thought about all the folks I've met throughout this journey, everything I've learned, the folks I've put smiles on their faces with amazement of my work, things like that. Then I told myself I wasn't takin' my hobby to serious. I'm doin' it because I enjoy all the good things that come with it, especially my time at the saw.

So how 'bout you? How do feel about your hobby? I'm not bein' nosey, I'm just curious what others of ya think about it. Thank you for your time.

Playing in the shop is my life.  At 73 I keep thinking I will not live long enough to make all the things I want to try.  I pretty much am a hermit because I just hate to leave the shop.  My Mother-In-Law always said if there was not chocolate in heaven, she didn't want to go. I feel the same about wood working if I can't have a shop in heaven I don't want to go,,,,,, just kidding Lord......  I love the scrolling, I want to keep trying different types of scrolling.  Too serious?? I don't really care, time is getting short, and I going to get as much of it as I can.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I have had 5 surgeries to correct nerve damage in my arms and hands. I can still scroll and do a lot of things in my shop. What I enjoy the most about it all would be the smiles I see on the faces that order something special or custom made. I have had to make a lot of adjustments and learn how to do things in a different way. I'm a little older then you and have these same thoughts. It always comes down to the smiles and happiness that gets created in my shop. Meeting people at crafts shows and just watching the expressions and the eyes light up. So for me it's always time well spent and I get to get away from everything else and it is just me, K-Love and the wood and machines. I take what I do very serious but truly enjoy every part of it. It's a hobby with a fantastic return. Don't get better then that :)

Well I have been doing this for over 30 years so I believe it is something I truely love. But the last 3 years I had my share of health issues and in fact I thank the Lord everyday I am still here because it almost was my time. I also had family issues with taking care of my Mom. Being she passed 1 year ago now I would give it all up if I could still have her here with me. She and my Dad were my biggest fans of what I do. being I just returned to my shop in August I realized I still miss it. I do not meet any deadlines any more because I have none. I too have a bad back and in fact I am dealing with it this past 3 weeks now so no shop time. 

So to answer your question I still love it but not a serious player any more. I still get a kick out of creating things though and will always have that passion. 

As I was sittin' at the saw this afternoon, finally finishing a project I've been workin' on for some time, a thought occurred to me. Am I takin' my scrollin' hobby to serious? I've not been able to spend much time in the shop, much less at the saw lately due to health conditions, family commitments, etc. 

The longer I thought about it, I became disgusted at first because in my 25 years of woodworking, I've made toy boxes for our grandkids, dressers, desks, beds, cedar chests, numerous shelving units, drawers for kitchens, etc. & I'm no longer able to do those things because of my back. I recently had surgery #2. Hell, I have to get help to move lumber anymore, & I'm just 51 years old. My sawbones told me this is a trophy of sittin' in a truck all my life. Such as it is.

As I sawed on, & slowly finally finished the project, I thought about it some more. And took a good look around my shop, looked at my all but new hawk bm - 26, & wondered if I was being to hard on myself, or taking my hobby to serious, or both? But then, as I sit there, asking God why all this happened, I thought about all the folks I've met throughout this journey, everything I've learned, the folks I've put smiles on their faces with amazement of my work, things like that. Then I told myself I wasn't takin' my hobby to serious. I'm doin' it because I enjoy all the good things that come with it, especially my time at the saw.

So how 'bout you? How do feel about your hobby? I'm not bein' nosey, I'm just curious what others of ya think about it. Thank you for your Since last

Since last Christmas ,getting out of the hospital things have been slowing down before that but now i ask my self the same question.Walking to get this and that in the shop is not easy.Standing to use a machine is not easy either.Moving a full sheet of 3/4" plywood is way way more than i want to do.Its possible but not very easy.About two years ago i was very enthused to scroll but as i get older 65 now I'm no fireball anymore.osteoarthritis takes about 98 % of my drive away. I want to do so much .The mind is willing but the body says no. I have every tool needed to do what ever all my life .All the wood i could possibly need too.Day after day i look at all i have in the shop and wonder what's going on.Nothings getting used up except the printer ,paper and ink.i love my hobby and it has kept my sanity for years now.But where do you go from here.I have 40 jobs waiting to be printed out and modified for some decent work to deliver.all for free.I live for the smiles i get ,the hugs i get and kisses too.that's what's been holding me together and my main reason to scroll anymore.If i had energy things could change over night.I've waited since 2004 to get a shop ,Now i have one and don't do a thing with it worth while.I'm sure a little exercise would help and i made  a speed bag platform so i could do what i love to do ,hit the speed bag.3 years ago at the gym I'd hit it for an hour.i can't even hit it now .You'd think I'd have bed sores on my butt from sitting so much.Caffeine and or energy drinks don't even phase me.I'm at wits end.i don't want to give up my love for scrolling.The amount of scrolling i used to do in 2004 to 2014 was amazing but the arthritis has knocked that all out to a stand still.if i had a partner to enthuse me I'm sure it would help.I'm very serious about scrolling but illness has taken it's toll fortunately.

Thank you for your input, gentlemen. What really got my wood workin' hobby started was my wife & Sawbones. I was drivin' for my Father at the time, & he was runnin' another driver & I til we couldn't stand up. We were haulin' confection sunflowers out of Orange Grove, TX. to Colby, KS. It's about 1100 miles one way, approximately. He had us runnin' 3 trips a week, just as hard as we could run. We'd been runnin' this run for over a month. I come in late one Saturday night & didn't even have my clothes bag on the floor yet. My bride took one look at me & said "you look like hell." She loaded me up in the pickup & off to the ER we went. The nurses took my vitals, & looked at me & told me not to be surprised if the Sawbones gave me an uninvited stay in the the hospital. Well, I took it for what it was worth & waited on the Sawbones to come in. When he walked in, he took one look at me & said the very same thing my bride did. I thanked him for the compliment, & asked him what his opinion was. He said my blood pressure was at stroke level, I was dehydrated, I was physically & mentally exhausted, & in dire need of rest. In the next breath, he looked me square in the face & said "Brad, I'm goin' to put this in words you'll understand. If you don't quit eatin', thinkin', sleepin' & breathin' those damn trucks, we're goin' to drop ya in a deep hole, & damn soon!" I looked at him & before I could say a word, my bride jumped up & said " you need a hobby, & I have an idea!" I looked at her, looked at the Sawbones, & said "hobby? what's that?" Well, long story short, he gave me ten days off medical leave due to exhaustion. 

My wife started tellin' me the next day she thought woodworking would be a good hobby for me to pursue. So, with ten days on my hands, I started readin' & researchin' tools & equipment. Wood, finishing, whatever our meager library had to offer at that time. 26 years ago. Then we bought a few tools, a small table saw, a RAS, etc. I went back to work, & kept thinkin' about what my Sawbones had told me. A short time later, I left Dads operation & went to drivin' cross country. Again. Two years later, I come in off the road with viral menengitis. I spent 8 1/2 months in our local hospital, lost complete use of my legs, & partial use of my left hand. I went thru epidurals nonstop, pain meds Thru IV, you name it. Then I had to learn to walk all over again. Since that time, I've had nerve issues from hell, back surgeries, they tell me I've got nerve issues in both hands. But I just keep goin'.

After intense therapy, my Sawbones released me from the hospital. I went to work at a prefab house plant not far from here til they closed the doors. Then I went back to truckin'. It's what I know, It's where I belong. I drove about another yr & 1/2, & I lost my nephew & my Dad two weeks apart. I was on the road when I got the news about Dad. I had a nervous breakdown in the truck, went into a seizure, & wrecked the truck. When the law found me, the truck upright, but I'd been thru one hell of a ride. I was buckled in the pilot seat when I blacked out, when they found me, I was sittin' in the riders seat. My 35 year trucking career ended there. Since then, I've been put on seizure meds, & other meds that will no longer allow me to drive OTR. That was 5 years ago last month. Since then, I've buried myself in my woodworking just to keep my hands & mind busy. Been thru bouts of depression. 

I've taught myself woodworking. I'm sure not all of it is professional grade, but my customers are happy with the work, & I haven't had any returns. I have most all the toys I'll ever need. They are all paid for. I guess I live for the fascination of the scroll saw. The smiles & amazement of my creations. There are still things I want to learn on the saw & lathe. In 25 years of it, there's alot I've done, but I learn somethin' new from you fellas everyday. I thank God I've been given the skills I have. So, as you can see, it ain't been no easy run, but I've learned alot. My apologies for the extended post. God bless, & keep scrollin'!

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

I have felt the way you did at times,I could not help but think,is it worth it? Do I really enjoy it that much?Making mistakes,starting over,Then when I see the finished piece,The Smile and Amazement on there face.and sometime a Blue Ribbon,and Mostly the Pure Joy and Satisfaction that I made that.I think YEA.it Worth it.Don't Stop. :D

The only woodworking I do anymore is on the scroll saw.I work 20 to 25 hours a week weather permitting I have to do craft shows to get rid of my inventory and that is ok with me and the wife. I don't know what I would do if I didn't scroll. I guess I would still be working in the Machine shop.It is now just a way of life for me.

IKE

I took a lay off from driving about 18 months ago.I had enough with them trucks.Even though I was a carpenter by trade the trucks looked good at the time .That was a mistake.A little time after that i was diagnosed with Colin cancer that spread to the liver.That is when I decided on a hobby scrolling came first.Then decided on a lathe.I never looked back. I work in my shop every minute i could.To me it is the best therapy there is.I told the doctors the minute I can not use my hands anymore all bets are off. I take Chemo every 2 weeks. I look forward to seeing people that i have met while getting treatments.Not one of them has the Why me attitude.I am 73 YO so i lived my life. But when I see young people 1/3 my age it gets me down a little.So the Moral is Keep Cutting and TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Well I think I take scrolling seriously in that I am kind of a perfectionist.   I didn't take up this craft to make money I started scrolling for the enjoyment and something to do when the weather is bad here in West Michigan.   I don't like sitting around and I like creating things and get satisfaction when they turn out well.  I mostly do my woodworking projects in the winter months because I love being outside the rest of the year.   I have some of the issues associated with being 72 but I am truly blessed in that I can still do most of the things I enjoy although a bit slower than I used to. :roll:           

My story, remember you asked for it.

Interesting discussion! One never knows where life takes you. My Mom was a technology junkie and seamstress and my Father a true toolmaker so I have been around tools all of my life. Being immigrants from Germany in 55 we didn't have much so we did and built most everything ourselves.  

I have always had hobbies most didn't last long, then I scrolled some Ginger bread for the shed I built with a scroll saw inherited from my Father.That was around 2004, hated the saw but loved the project. My wife bought me a Delta SS 350 and off I went. My sister talked me into selling some of my work. The feedback from repeat customers is heartwarming for both my wife and I, she doesn't scroll but does all of the painting, marketing etc.

I worked at a national lab for 35 years designing and building detectors for high energy physics and photon science research. One project took 9 years from concept to completion, going home and being able to scroll something resulting in a completed project was priceless to me. I can sit at the saw and get lost in my thoughts. 

But he biggest gift of all was my connection with the folks at Fox Chapel, doing test cutting and doing a few significant projects. Through that the open houses, scrolling forums and sites I  have met so many wonderful people from all over the world. 

Seeing some of the stunning work others do keeps me humble and challenged.

The scrolling hobby will be a part of my life as long as I can do it.

I started out back in the 60s scrolling not on a regular basis while I was working, now I been scrolling full time since I retired ten years ago, and love it very nuch, and believe that you have something to do when retired, and love to do craft shows to show off my work, although I may not scroll all the things I want to do, but it is enough to keep me busy. And my best friend helps me out with the shows, and she makes scarfs. I will continue to scroll as long as I'am able to do so. edward

I've been butchering wood, in some form or fashion for about 40 years.  Working wood started out as a means to an end for me.  To a large degree, it still is.  I worked in the building trades as a young man and have been around tools and sawdust all my life.  My first projects were functional items (crude but functional).  I made them more out of necessity than out of any real passion for woodworking.  As the years went by, I built my own house and gradually branched out a bit and tried to make things other than what I could bang together out of cheap pine and nails.  For years, I got by with only the most rudimentary tools and I gradually felt more & more limited by them.  My first "real" furniture project was a china hutch for my wife on our 20th anniversary.  I made it out of oak hardwood and oak plywood.  It was my first project out of all hardwoods.  I didn't even own any carbide blades or router bits until then.  That project was a catalyst for me.  I understood that I needed to upgrade some of my tools and tooling to be better able to make those types of projects.  It has taken many years, but I'm pretty well set in my shop now.  I still have many of the tools I started with, but have added many more in the past 10-15 years or so.  I'm reaching a point now where I'm upgrading some of my existing tools in order to carry me through my golden years.  After all these years of making sawdust, I've realized that this is my one and only lifelong hobby and I need to prepare now in order to be able to carry on for another 20 -25 years or more.

As for scrolling, again, it also started out as a means to an end.  When my kids were in grade school, I started making Christmas ornaments for them to give to all the teachers, coaches, etc they had.  My first few attempts were with my rather rudimentary tool set making very simple items.  I realized I needed something like a scrollsaw if I was going to keep this up.  I've been making ornaments for over 20 years now.  It has become a deeply ingrained part of the Christmas tradition for me and my family and friends.  I've curt thousands of ornaments.  I'm on my third scroll saw.  Scrolling opened up a whole different avenue of woodworking for me.  For the first time, I was really making stuff just for the enjoyment of it, not just to serve a specific purpose.  I want to continue woodworking for as long as possible, but I'm glad I discovered scrolling, because I believe I can probably continue it longer than making furniture.

The point of all this is, a hobby should serve your purposes.  How serious you take it depends on what you are getting out of it.  A hobby should be about the choice to do what you like and want to do.  As soon as it isn't, then it isn't a hobby, it's a chore.  If you feel that your hobby is becoming a burden or you aren't getting satisfaction from it, then it is time to step back and re-evaluate.  Maybe you are taking it too seriously.  Maybe you've outgrown it.  Maybe you just need a break or some other diversion.  Each of us has to figure out what motivates us to do our hobby and try to stay focused on the positive aspects it creates for us.  Otherwise, what is the point?

Sorry for the long reply, but you did ask for it.  :lol:;)

I started woodworking in my High School years after taking a 6 week course in wood shop. I fell in love with it and at age 85 I still like to go into the shop whenever I can. I am still recovering from a stroke I suffered in August of last year ,My second in 5 years. I sold many things over the years but when I retired in 1996 I did not want to feel like I went back to work so I just made it a hobby.

I enjoy making things and giving them to friends and family. At present I am making toys for Toys for Tots, Shriner's Hospital for Children, my local hospital's children's ward and novelty items for senior centers. It gives me great pleasure to see the smiles on Chidren's and senior's  faces when I bring my creations to their centers. 

Mike

I started scrolling because I have neuropathy and the doctor said if I live long enough it would put me in a wheelchair. At the time I didn't pay much attention to him but now I am beginning to believe him. For it's a hobby and a hobby for me has always been just that. I don't want it to become a job ( i have had a job and don't want any more) I want to enjoy it. As far as being serious I would say no but I like scrolling a lot.

You're right Mr. Rolf, this has turned out to be an interesting discussion. Like all of you that have posted, & as I posted, I've come to enjoy scrolling for most all the same reasons you folks do. It gives me time to relax my mind from everyday things goin' on around me. The enjoyment of the satisfaction of other folks, & just gettin' to spend time in the shop with my saw, my dogs, & other toys. It's great to hear from you fellas. I appreciate your participation. I've met some good people here, & enjoy this site. You guys give me alot of company when I'm not in the shop. Thank you! Sincerely!

Very seldom do i ever read so many post that I agree with.

At 74 I've been around sawdust since my father made my first toy. I am just getting back to scrolling after 6 years because I realized something was missing. Lord knows I have problems like everyone but I have to thankful I can sit and still use my hands and eyes to create enjoyment for my self and others, and get lost in the project for a few hour☺ right or wrong I put getting back to scroll work right up there with taking my meds.

.for me scrolling has always been a hobby ,and making room for new work a small problem. I don't expect that will be the case now but I look forward to what ever time I can find.

This forum one of 2 or 3 i ever joined has been a big help in many ways and I'll take the time to thank one and all..

Scrolling for me is a serious hobby.  Because of our store, ArtCrafters, I am only able to spend 1 1/2 days per week scrolling.  Time spent scrolling is therapy and the joy of seeing others look and handle the items with awe.  Several weeks ago, I made a Puppy Coin Back.  Friday I gave it to my great grandson only 3 years old.  The look one his face was something to behold.  All the relatives had fun giving him a coin and watching his reaction to putting it into the bank.  It maybe a serious hobby, but very rewarding.

This note is not really much about your passion for scrolling but like a lot of you, I'm not getting any younger.

For a large portion of my life I have been involved with martial arts of some type or another so based on my experience from a young guy to my present 62 year old guy:

If you're looking for a very beneficial exercise, look into Tai Chi. Lots of youTube videos, DVD's through the mail or even your public library, classes all over the place. I am of the opinion that Tai Chi is almost the perfect exercise or at least the perfect exercise for people who don't exercise or like to exercise. Good for the body, mind and spirit.

This is one of the best post on the site (my opinion). Loved all of your stories. I got into this about 1 1/2 yr ago and knew absolutely nothing about scrolling. Learned from all of you something. Started doing it just to see if I could then showed my wife and she is way better than myself. We found out really quick when you give a project to someone that look and smile is priceless.

hmmm.... 20 years setting up and running Kmart stores... then 13 years running a Chrysler/Toyota dealership.... started wood carving and graduated into scrollsawing about 15 years ago .... I did craft shows for years until 2011... had to rebuild my house after big flood ... took over 6 months.

set up my shop in garage and decided I did not want to make things I thought people might want to buy... I have a trailer full of displays and products and another PU load in my garage

I still scroll a lot .almost daily .... make big challenging projects ... maybe back to shows after I retire from radio business

Edited by The Scroll Troll

First I have a very comfortable stool, I wear a Velcro large back brace belt, I have a small end table close by for my water, coffee, and if the snow is gone a beer.  My scroll saw is over in one corner of my dream retirement 40x50 wood shop.  So at 73 I'm livin' da' dream'!  :D and yes I do know the alternative!  :shock:  Russ

I actually bought my first scroll saw to make rough cuts in basswood blocks as I also dabble in wood carving... mainly spirit faces and troll faces in cottonwood bark. I lost most of my bark in the flood of 2011 so I have been relenishing my supply as cottonwood trees are cut down by the city. I am on the Minot City Council and on the forrestry advisory board so I have an inside track.

I found a book with some simple wildlife patterns and that got me started on scroll sawing.  I take my knives and bark to the cabin in Minnesota when we go to do some carving.... easier than hauling a scroll saw 

My passion in sawing is making clocks of all types... small to large... I have well over 100 patterns for clocks. the last couple years I have been concentrating on large clocks.... many by Dirk Boehlman and a lot from Wilckens Woodworking... I am working on the Tower of Time Clock from Wilckens ... top floor is all cut and ready for finishing and only two or three pieces left on the second floor to cut out ... then into sanding and finishing mode for the top two floors

I got started in my high school woods class. I don't know that I ever figured I'd still be doing it this far down the road. While in college I realized it was much cheaper to make Birthday and Christmas gifts than purchasing them. So I bought my first saw about 15 years ago. I've been able to have a "shop" set up twice since then. I cowboy'd for a large ranch right out of college and was able to spend a lot of nights and weekends in my basement shop improving my sawing abilities. Then I spent three years moving around working the in the North Dakota oilfield, so all my tools went into storage. I've finally gotten back to a normal 8-5 job as a banker, and have been able to set up shop again in the garage. I don't get as much time out there as I'd like due to keeping the wife happy, but I'm trying to grow it into a small side business. Not sure I really need to make money at it, but have been told it has to at least pay for itself. I really enjoy scrolling, especially pushing myself with some of the more complicated fretwork pieces. I'm also trying to learn how to make my own patterns. I don't always get to spend as much time on the scroll saw as I'd really like as I get requests for other types of projects. Right now I'm working on a lathe turned coat rack and then have some other non-scroll oriented wedding projects to finish. But I guess that's what makes it interesting. So, I know I don't get to scroll as much as others on here, but am hoping to continue building and expanding what I have time for.