My Take on the Seyco Saw

hotshot

Great review Randy, thanks for sharing it with us. I don't like the look of the top and back of the saw, it looks silly to not have the top cover the whole stand. I have a question, Is the saw mounted on the stand, or is it part of the stand set-up? In the picture it looks like the saw is part of the stand, and that it wouldn't work on a bench-top. I have a tilt meter on my saw, it's mounted on the side of the upper arm. I've been using the tilt meter ever since I bought the saw, Iliked how it was so accurate in setting up any angle I wanted. I have never had to replace the battery on my tilt meter, and I've been using it for years. All I do to preserve the battery life, is to turn it off until I need it to set an angle. 

Len

Thanks for the info,  I know I will never need one. But, interesting.  I kind of like the magnetic top cover idea.  You know how easy the top of an Ex scratches, I assume the Seyco will be the same.  This would at least cover the scratches up, but I wonder how long it will last.  Can you have zero clearance with it?  Could it be cut to fit the Ex?  I think the removing the tilting table mechanism is not a good thing, I like to be able to turn a knob to get to the degree I want instead of playing with pushing.   I say that although I have only used mine once on my Ex.  So why grip.  I would only use it if I get into inlay, which I plan on, but that is a minor angle to worry about.  The angle gauge, to me is a gag, unless it is very easy to remove so it could be used on other machines.  I already have one, don't need another.  Should be an option, in my opinion.  The larger table will be a great plus to new buyers for sure, I have gotten very use to the Ex and don't really see a need for bigger, however, I remember it was one of my complaints before I got use to it.  I us my Hegner now more than the Ex and the Hegner has a small table.  The Ex table seems huge when I move back to it.  You get use to what you get use to.  I say Thanks to Seyco, in reality they did not let the Ex die, they made their version of it.  Probably they have a much better understanding on what customers want than me.  I wish them all the success. 

Thanks for the review Randy! So, how many coins did you give away?

I gave three to Steve Good which he used on his display :-) and one to who I think was the president of the Gwinnett Woodworking Club, but not sure on that one.

I would have give some to the other scrollers in the Gwinnett booth, but they were all busy cutting puzzles so I didn't really get a chance to talk to them.

----Randy

Edited by hotshot

.....I have a question, Is the saw mounted on the stand, or is it part of the stand set-up? In the picture it looks like the saw is part of the stand, and that it wouldn't work on a bench-top. I.........

Len

Len, that is a super super question.  I was consumed by the missing gear mechanism so it didn't occur to me to figure that piece out.  They have to ship the saw, so I'm assuming the stand would have to attach to core in a reasonable manner, but frankly I don't know.  Now I wish I would have looked at how the stand was attached better.  At the next demo, someone else will have to check it out.

I have a question, I hope someone can answer. Is there not going to be any more Ex's made, what happened that there's not?

Len

I did ask the Jet rep about how they got rights to the core Excalibur design, and I don't believe the answer, so I'm not going to repeat it, besides, I don't want a call from their lawyers.  I've heard at least two other versions of what is going on, but everything sounds more like gossip than anything solid.  So, I'm going to say that at this point, the truth is very elusive.  There is one truth we do know, and that is that the most recent EX design released under the Excalibur name is available under different brand names in much of the world excluding the U.S. and is produced in Taiwan by the same manufacturer that produced the Excaliburs.   Of course, Ray at Seyco knows how he was able to get his variant, so perhaps his piece of the story will surface at some point.

I will say this one thing, none of the stories go anything like this:  "We contacted General (or other rights holders) and secured the rights to produce and re-distribute the core EX technologies in our variant for such and such region."  Nope . . . . sigh . . . .  the stories were nothing like that at all.

Lucky for you, living in Canada, you have access to one of these Ex branded saws named Excelsior.  Google "Excelsior 21" and you should get a few results.  Ironically, the U.S. seems to be one of the few regions of the world that doesn't have access to a re-branded versions of the original EX design.

-----Randy

Edited by hotshot

Yes Randy, I've seen the Excelsior saw, they look a lot like the original EX. Thankfully, I won't need to buy one, my EX21 is only a few years old. And it hasn't been used for over two years now, so it's almost like new and it should last me a long long time. Hopefully, I'll soon be able to start using it again, sadly, I'll probably have to learn to cut all over again.

Len

Len, that is a super super question.  I was consumed by the missing gear mechanism so it didn't occur to me to figure that piece out.  They have to ship the saw, so I'm assuming the stand would have to attach to core in a reasonable manner, but frankly I don't know.  Now I wish I would have looked at how the stand was attached better.  At the next demo, someone else will have to check it out.

I went to the Seyco site to check it out. They say the stand has five adjustable positions including bench top version.

Is the blower as anemic as the one on the Ex?  My starter saw, porter cable, has a good blower, it doesn't require the nozzle to be as close to the blade as my Ex does.

Are the blade clamps the same as the Ex?

No integral light !!  I would bet there is a higher percentage of folks who want a light rather than a tilt meter.

Randy what a great review. I really appreciate the time you took to help us understand more about this new saw. I don't understand the purpose of the magnetic table pad or what ever they want to call it. In their opinion  it must be worth spending the money on it but I don't understand why.

PS- Did you know you and Steve Good look a lot alike? Of coarse that is my opinion. :cool:

Thanks Randy. To your comments about a gap between 16 and 30, are those the only size they come. Nothing in the 20-24 inches range?

let me clarify, under the Excalibur brand, there were three sizes: 16, 21, and 30.

In the U.S. at least, we are down to only the 21" (seyco) or  22" Jet only.  Re-Branded Excaliburs in other markets are still available in 16, 21, and 30.

Edited by hotshot

Like the others have said good review Randy.  I got my new mag in the mail today and they have a "review" of the Jet and EX saws.  You talk about walking the fence and saying nothing!  They should have had Randy write the review but than they would have  two advertisers mad.  JMO