I'm starting to think that its IMPOSSIBLE to hurt yourself with a scrollsaw

scrollin'fool

maybe because I am the scrollin' fool, but I am beginning to believe that someone would have to actually force their finger on purpose against the blade to hurt themselves with a scrollsaw while cutting wood.

I dont use the finger guard.  I dont wear special eyeglasses.  I sometimes get to work just minutes after awaking. at times I am working on cutting tiny little parts with my face just inches from the blade. 

Ive have two scrollsaws and have been using them for fourteen years now, and have never once hurt myself with the scrollsaw.  I've sometimes hurt myself with the other tools I use to make the toys, but maybe someone out there can set me straight.  maybe I am just lucky with this craft.

has anyone here ever hurt themselves with a scrollsaw while cutting wood?  maybe a few scary stories will set me back on the straight and narrow.

P8170001.JPG

Edited by scrollin'fool

Yes very early in my Hawk ownership. I was aggressively cutting some cheap 1/4 plywood pushing very hard, I had  a finger in front of the blade when I hit a void. I had an Olson  PGT5 blade in it and it did draw blood.  Learned lots of lessons that day. Only once in 12 years, not bad.

Those look like a nice project, are they your own design? How about a picture of one of these banjos?

I have, once or twice. Last time a piece jumped on me and my hand slipped off and into the blade. I think the other time I was cutting a very small part, and thought I could get just a little closer... Both were just deep enough to require a bandaid. Just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it's impossible. My brother has found a way to run a finger into the blade every time he's tried to use a scroll saw. So, he's quit trying. He'd rather use his fingers to drink beer. 

it seems I'm not the only one who feels that the scrollsaw is a very safe tool.

and yes, those toy banjos are my own design.  all the toys Ive made, and will make, are of my own design.  these toy banjos were for the crowd at the philly folk festival, and thats the philly folk festival banjo face painted on the drums.  they dont actually play, I couldnt get the strings tight enough.  but theyre made entirely of recycled materials, and they were only ten bucks each.  pity Ive got about 22 left.  I only made a hundred bucks from them so far.

P8290004.JPG

It's hard to hurt yourself, but not impossible,, especially with older saw models that have more open movement of the arms. I've never cut myself with the blade, but did get stabbed in the finger from a broken blade in my older Delta Q3 saw and have been bruised up a few times when hit by moving arms and blade clamps.

Charley

Have never been hurt but do get a bit of a start when the blade breaks sometimes.  I scroll really slow so i can literally hold the blade while its going up and down. not advisable but I have done it. side to side of course, not the front.  I usually take my glasses off to work but will wear them if cutting thicker stuff on a higher speed. 

I wouldn't say it's near impossible to get hurt on the scroll saw. For some, it comes as easy as turnin' on the saw. Those of us that spend several hours a day on the saw could get hurt at any time, but we also know that if it has teeth, there's a good chance of a bite if ya give it the chance. 

I've had my fingernails trimmed a time or two, & a bite that a band aid wouldn't take care of. The faster the blade is cuttin', the easier it is to get bit. One can get overly sure of himself on occasion I suppose, but I still say the scroll saw is the safest tool in the shop, next to a lead pencil!

Course blades #7,9 and larger pose a potential cut hazard because the gullets of the blades are so large. 2/0 would require a lot of force and could easily break the blade before the skin. I have had a couple of nicks from voids, dog barking(startled) so it can happen. losing a limb not without serious effort.

Fredfret

Wichita,ks

16 hours ago, scrollin'fool said:

maybe because I am the scrollin' fool, but I am beginning to believe that someone would have to actually force their finger on purpose against the blade to hurt themselves with a scrollsaw while cutting wood.

I dont use the finger guard.  I dont wear special eyeglasses.  I sometimes get to work just minutes after awaking. at times I am working on cutting tiny little parts with my face just inches from the blade. 

Ive have two scrollsaws and have been using them for fourteen years now, and have never once hurt myself with the scrollsaw.  I've sometimes hurt myself with the other tools I use to make the toys, but maybe someone out there can set me straight.  maybe I am just lucky with this craft.

has anyone here ever hurt themselves with a scrollsaw while cutting wood?  maybe a few scary stories will set me back on the straight and narrow.

P8170001.JPG

Oh yeah! but a band saw blaDE IN or a #9 0r #12 blade and hit your finger,OOP's!

Okay, here is my take.  When someone says "hurting yourself" I think, 'hurting yourself",  as in I may need to go to the hospital!   A little cut in which you say "ouch!" or "dang" or even something a little stronger, is not a real hurt to me. that is just every day life, suck it up and get over it kind of thing.  I routinely draw a little blood, but it does not change the way I do things.  I say on a scroll saw, you can not hurt yourself, other than dropping it on your foot and breaking it or breathing dust until you have to carry around an oxygen tank.  To seriously cut your finger, you would really have to work at it.  I say the scroll saw is probably the safest, moving tool in a workshop.  The little scares and bruises,  are to seek sympathy from friends while sitting around and drinking beer.

Ah, just my humble opinion.