Best Way To Hang Large Wall Hangings?

kmmcrafts

What method would you pro's use to hang larger heavier woodwork pieces. I've searched around on Etsy looking at what the others do.. but I've seen everything and nothing, LOL.. 

This isn't really scroll saw related since I'm talking about hanging larger signs, flags etc. that I route on my CNC. I already have several folks wanting one of these flags shown in the photo.. But this piece is 26 x 13 x 3/4 inches.. Made from Maple.. so it's a lot heavier than the typical scroll saw stuff I make that hangs and I typically used sawtooth hangers on those.. In my searching on Etsy I found sawtooth hangers ( mind you they are making theirs from pine which might be lighter ) or wire.. MOST of the listings I run upon didn't show or tell how to hang it.. Amazing how little some sellers describe their items.. yet get sales.. 

For my heavier scroll sawn items which is very few of them.. I use the D hook hangers instead of the sawtooth. I always thought they was a little more robust.. Was kind of thinking of these on each end of the sign.. for two hanging points..  but that might be too difficult for some to get to hang straight. Also thought about just having the CNC drill two holes clear through to use a leather or? strap to hang from above.  So what's your thoughts.. 

162727365_3841124435966302_6863153962065634101_n.jpg

Kevin, in a former life---in a distant galaxy 😜 ( sorry, I couldn't pass that opportunity up), I owned and operated a very succesful picture frame / art gallery business.  We offered an option to hand purchases for our customers and to this day I operate my business from my home shop.  We hung mirrors that weighed up to 80 Lbs and we used a product call Z-Bar.  This no more than a metal version of a french cleat system that has been around for a long time.  The idea is that one piece of the hanger gets attached to the wall, hope fully using the wall studs, and the other piece gets attached to the artwork and then gets locked into the piece on the wall.  I purchase this product from my picture framing suppliers, it is also available from United Manufacturers.  Hope this was helpful and not confusing.

Best to you

Rick

This is a verion of what HRRick was talking about available from Lowes. Rated at 75#, but I know it will hold more as long as it is secured into a stud,  Two can be used if the hanging piece is wide.  I used two to hang a Booze rack which holds abut 20+ full size bottles of Licquer (mostly cordials if you must knnow).  Has been on the wall almost 7 years with no problems.  

What is nice about this system is that it is nearly a flush mounting with no outward lean.  If the back of the hanging pice can be routed out slightly it can be made perfectly flush.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-6-in-Hangman-Picture-Hanging-System/3058191 

Edited by FrankEV

What I use for hanging heavy items is called a "french cleat".  It's really pretty simple as the attached video will show.  The pix is of a sign at our club.  It is an eight footer made from 4 sheets of ply!  Quite heavy but it made the hanging a snap.  Russ  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFvced0deZ8

65865134.jpg

The French Cleat seems like a bit of overkill for what I'm looking to do.. remember these are going to be hung up by customers.. many may not understand how that system works.. I would definitely do this if it were very heavy.. When I said these are heavy.. I meant more that they are much heavier than the typical plaque that I normally just use a sawtooth hanger on. I'd guess this thing is less than 5lb. probably closer to 3-4.. 

I'm thinking about using the coated wire as Deny suggested. I have a boatload of these D hangers both smaller and some pretty large ones. 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts / suggestions.