I finally painted the sign

Foxfold

• Foxfold changed the title to I finally painted the sign
1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Well come on,, how did you finally do it?  That is a very impressive sign.  Great job.. I would take it and hang it up even though that is not my name..

After several days of contemplation mixed with terror, I tried artist brushes and acrylic but hated it,  I tried 'foam rollers' too but  after the first touch I chickened out . So I cut a piece of kitchen sponge and used Rustoleum paint.  

I wiped on a thin coat of paint over the letters being very careful to work from the inside - out and when that dried I used the same sponge to 'dab' paint all over.  I didn't know if it would work as it seems like nothing the 'professionals' do but I don't think it turned out that badly 🙈

Edited by Foxfold

I really do not understand  how one can router out letters. Would be interesting to see done. I might go to Youtube and see if I can find something on doing them like that.

Your sign is truly well done and I can not even imagine how you were able to do it, except with a scroll saw. It is a great sign. Maybe you were too hard on yourself by doing it the way you did.

Dick

heppnerguy

10 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

I really do not understand  how one can router out letters. Would be interesting to see done. I might go to Youtube and see if I can find something on doing them like that.

Your sign is truly well done and I can not even imagine how you were able to do it, except with a scroll saw. It is a great sign. Maybe you were too hard on yourself by doing it the way you did.

Dick

heppnerguy

Thank you for your kind words Dick. Much appreciated. Here's a link to a video that a friend of mine made.  It's a sign on a smaller scale but the principle's the same.

3 minutes ago, Dak0ta52 said:

Beautiful piece, Brenda! Might I suggest also painting the outside raised section as well to give it a border appearance. 

Thank you.. However, although I too think it would look better the way you describe, the  'owner' wants it as is,, and as my old boss used to say ''The customer is King''

23 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

Thank you for your kind words Dick. Much appreciated. Here's a link to a video that a friend of mine made.  It's a sign on a smaller scale but the principle's the same.

thank you so much for uploading this video. It  was very informative and also something I hope to try in the near future. Bless you so much for taking your time to do this for me. I truly appreciate it.

Dick

heppnerguy

Just now, heppnerguy said:

thank you so much for uploading this video. It  was very informative and also something I hope to try in the near future. Bless you so much for taking your time to do this for me. I truly appreciate it.

You are more than welcome my friend. Always willing to help if I can. This forum and it's people have been so good to me that it's not a lot to repay the favour.  One thing I would say is that the router that Shane uses is too heavy for me to hold so I just use one of these.

Router.jpg

Just now, Foxfold said:

You are more than welcome my friend. Always willing to help if I can. This forum and it's people have been so good to me that it's not a lot to repay the favour.  One thing I would say is that the router that Shane uses is too heavy for me to hold so I just use one of these.

Router.jpg

I recently purchased a smaller router but I have not even taken it out of the box. This gives me a reason to give it a try. Do you also us bits made for a cnc machine or a regular router bit? Just wondering

Dick

heppnerguy

4 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

I recently purchased a smaller router but I have not even taken it out of the box. This gives me a reason to give it a try. Do you also us bits made for a cnc machine or a regular router bit? Just wondering

I also use the cnc bits for the majority of what I do although to 'clear out' on this sign I did use a regular bit as there was so much wood to remove.  But I find the cheap and cheerful cnc bits brilliant for my normal stuff.

lagoon and shepherd-page-001.jpg

Edited by Foxfold