A little help with dust control

tuner

I have read here of box fans, and other means of keeping dust down, I use a fan/ filter and a tray under the saw and it helped. I need more or I kicked out of the sewing room.

Will a shop vac with intake near the bottom of the blade help, And how much ? One last question, can I hook the vac to my foot switch or will the stop and go kill the motor. 

Keep in mind I am talking hobby, but I do love to cut

The noise of the shop vac will probably get you thrown out faster than the dust. You should get lots of ideas here. I have a basement shop and no dust collection on my scrollsaw. But I do have a central dust collection system for everything else. Recently bought a Festool midi vac, it is very quiet and may connect it to my scroll saw.

I use a Festool mid size vac.  They sell a Wye that fits in the intake port, so I rig a hose both top and bottom, with the top one oriented to catch everything off the blower.  You can turn the motor speed down and adjust the suction.  It is tied into the foot switch on the saw and runs about 7 seconds or so after the saw quits.  The bad news is they are a bit expensive.  The good news is they work well and are a lot quieter, but I still use ear plugs.  It has just about eliminated any dust issue.  Also, it also works on a number of random orbit sanders.

5 hours ago, tuner said:

I have read here of box fans, and other means of keeping dust down, I use a fan/ filter and a tray under the saw and it helped. I need more or I kicked out of the sewing room.

Will a shop vac with intake near the bottom of the blade help, And how much ? One last question, can I hook the vac to my foot switch or will the stop and go kill the motor. 

Keep in mind I am talking hobby, but I do love to cut

anything and everything will save your lungs !

I use a Festool vac and have pickups for the dust above and below the table.  I use Loc Line adjustable pick up on top so I can keep the pick up out of the way but close to the blade.

post-27214-0-70339900-1481919178_thumb.jpg

The Festool and Fein are designed for continuous use and are quiet.  Yes, they are not cheap but are HEPA rated. 

Dust collection is best done as close to the source as possible. I am not a fan of the fans with a filter on them as you push fine dust in the air and will be breathing it. 

Edited by Sycamore67
Add picture

What bothers me is the noise a shop vac makes at the end of the hose at the point of dust going into the hose. It's so loud and shrill. I would like to see some pictures of what you guys are doing with dust collection on your saws. I am always interested in a better way.

Here is what I do. It's not perfect.

4xZUsg7.jpg

I added this box underneath later. Some one here suggested I do it. The metal strap connects to a rare earth magnet to hold the front of the box up.

OVFrofJ.jpg

i HAVE A  2 GAL sHOP vAC UNDER MY SAW TABLE WITH HOWE JUST UNDER THE BALDE IT PICKS UP A LOT OF THE HEAVIER DUST BUT MISSES THE FINE DUST. I ALSO HAVE A SHOP VAC AIR CLEANER ( COST ABOUT $130) SETTING CLOSE TO THE SAW WHICH COLLECTS A LOT OF THE FINE AIRBORN DUST. i ALSO WEAR A RESPRATOR AND i DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE DUST tHE TOTAL COST OF THE DUST COOLLECTION IS ABOUT $200 i SELL MY WORK AT CRAFT SALES AND BOUGHT THESE WITH MY PROFITS

ike

I Have an Oneida central dust collection system and come off of it with two flexible aluminum pipes (available at Ace, Home Depot etc). It picks up most dust below and above the saw table except what falls from the edge of the scroll saw table. If I didn't have the Oneida system I would use a Fein or Festool with the same flexible pipes.

Edited by orangeman
clarity

I use a systen similar to Sycamore67's with the addition of a dust deputy attached to a shop vac. I estimate I get 85-90% of under table dust and maybe 70% above. Most of the above table dust is the largest particals as they are blown away from the dust pick up. My main saw is a Hawk the backup Dewalt has not been turned on in 2 years. I really don't notice the noise but 20 years around Jets and Ships causes hearing loss.

Fredfret

Wichita, ks

I run a set up similar to Sycamore67's too.  Here is the link to my story: Dust Control on my Hawk however I am now using a repurposed Dyson DC25 upright instead of a shop vac.  The Dyson is quieter than a shop vac but I still wear ear plugs or ear buds and listen to music.  I now do not need full blown 30 db rated headphones.

If I didn't use the dust collection system, I would be using a respirator or dust mask to protect my lungs instead of the ear plugs/buds to protect my ears.  I figure it's a trade off, mouth/nose or ears, one has just about got to be covered.  I elected to go with ears.

Your question was originally about how to keep dust down inside the house and my recommendation is something devoted directly to sucking up the dust at the source via a shop vac (or other dust collecting machine) and a saw specific collection system and since you are in the house, you will still probably have to have some additional sort of fine dust collector in the vicinity.  I think being in the house increases your problems by an order of magnitude.

I try to position my dust pickup on top across from the dust blower.  Both of these use Loc Line which makes it very easy to position them.

I also have an Oneida dust cyclone collector with a lot of capacity.  I use a vacuum on the scroll saw because it has more suction.  When working with relatively small sized pipes and hoses the vacuum is a better choice.  While a dust collector can move large amounts of air like 500-1000 cfm the suction is generally only about 7-10 " of suction.  A good  vacuum usually move 125 cfm but at 100" of water.  The difference means much better suction for small pipes.

20 hours ago, crupiea said:

If you leave the dust where it i:bored:s, your workshop will always smell like fresh cut wood.  

Imagine your front yard always smelling like fresh cut grass. 

I agree, trouble is the wife doesn't, and it her sewing room

4 hours ago, stevan said:

Turner, what kind of saw do you have?

An Old 19 inch Excalibur I just about rebuilt it...Well did a lot of work, also added Quick Blade release, and thinking about a vs motor. Still hate bottom feed with no lift arm.... BUT Smooth, quite, And almost fun to use, right now it's the best I can do ... It still just a 20+ year hobby

Edited by tuner

Hi,

I have quite a different dust extraction system and here's a couple of posts I made about my mods.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/workshop-hacks-t102950.html

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/axminster-ex30-dust-extraction-mod-t102117.html

Quite different to most and sounds like a Jumbo Jet on take off but works great and basically blows any dust outside (I live out in the middle of nowhere so no complains as its my land 8-)

Even if you don't get a Bouncy Castle fan the mods to the EX30 work with a shop vac or similar.

Cheers

Brian