Ash

ekud1946

I love ash and use quite a bit in building cabinets. I also use it in making stand up puzzles like by Judy Peterson.  It is very hard but with nice grain kind of like oak but whitish.

It is relatively cheap and you can get wide boards.  I find that it does not warp as bad as many others.  In the future, it will become hard to get as it is being killed quickly by Emerald Ash Borer.

I like working with Ash in the same way I like working with Oak - love the grain and the look it can create in your workpiece - but having said that - I always do a bit of pondering before deciding what woods to use on any project.  I usually leave the heavy grained woods to those projects where the grain will be shown to best advantage and it will complement the pattern.   Way back in the beginning of time I recall using some ash in a few crosses (simply because it was there) with very elaborate fretwork - no more - just doesn't show off the grain.  Projects where it has worked well for me have been in framing portraits or possibly in the portraits themselves (e.g. wildlife or landscape pieces) if there is ample background space to show off the grain - and if that "showing off" actually enhances the overall work.

Jay  

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

Wasn't there a big blight that wiped out many ash trees a few years back? I have used it in the past and like working with it.

Rolf, I think you are referring to the Emerald Ash Borer which is devastating Ash in many areas.  Back when we lived in MN (10 years ago), it was just entering our area.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:29 PM, ekud1946 said:

Has anyone used Ash wood for scrolling?

I useda chair seat to scroll once.What ever it was made from was the hardest wood i ever ran across.I had to stop cutting it as it was taking way to long to do what i was doing and switch to something else.I thought it was ash but maybe not?