We Lost Our Friend - Rockytime

Rockytime

Hi all I wanted to share an email that Les (Rockytime) sent to me.  He was into hobby trains which I just started.

Pasted from email...

-=-=-=-=-=

Thanks for the message. I eventually had thought about a garden railroad. I called it "Mule Muffin & Western." Age and other things sort of got into the way. I modeled mostly in HOn3 but also dabbled in N abs On3 scales. Loved the hobby. Northwest Shortline used to refer people to me to cut custom gears for locomotives that had nylon gears which had broken. Modeling consumed most of my life. I'd love to do it all again.

Good luck with your railroad. Yes, for the price of a planer I can purchase a lot of hardwood. I found that Ochooch sells 1/8 and 1/4 inch hardwood so I'm all set.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

This is one of those things that as an Admin, I don't know how to handle.  This news breaks my heart and it has personally affected me in ways that I wasn't expecting.  He was a good friend, a fixture at SSV, and I'll miss him a lot.

This thread evolved from our fellow scroller sharing some personal information that progressed to a tragic end.  Instead of creating a new thread as a tribute, I wanted to maintain this one since so many has shared their grief and condolences here.  It doesn't seem fair to put people through that again.  I also moved it into the General Scroll Saw forum so it doesn't get lost.

Be at peace, my friend.

Thanks Travis. I know this one will gather many posts and replies. Les was one of a kind both here and in his regular life. He and I have shared many late at night stories. I'll miss him tremendously.

I sat and wept at this news.  Les was always someone who would listen and help. Nothing was ever too much trouble for him. You will be sadly missed my friend and my heart goes out to Faye and your daughter at this most awful of times.  We never met but I feel like I've lost another much loved friend. 💔  RIP. 

I hope someone who knows his family can copy all the heartfelt messages that are on here, I'm sure it will be a little comfort to know that he was so loved and respected amongst the scrolling community. 

Edited by Foxfold

1 hour ago, Foxfold said:

I sat and wept at this news.  Les was always someone who would listen and help. Nothing was ever too much trouble for him. You will be sadly missed my friend and my heart goes out to Faye and your daughter at this most awful of times.  We never met but I feel like I've lost another much loved friend. 💔  RIP. 

I hope someone who knows his family can copy all the heartfelt messages that are on here, I'm sure it will be a little comfort to know that he was so loved and respected amongst the scrolling community. 

Brenda, I told them about SSV and that they should tune in and read them all. They will at another time. Thanks.

I did not post here very often, because I usually would be repeating things already said, but this time I am sad to say, I also will miss the exchanges of Les.  He was a skilled mechanic in many hobbies, and he shared it all with us.

GOD BLESS YOU LES, we know you are at peace now.  ✝️

Rick

Now I know I have not been here for some time and heard this news through another scroller. I knew he was a regular contributor here and I have known Les for a long time through other sites. I was so sorry to hear that he passed. I knew he was battling the dreaded covid and it took him away from us all. I am sure many of us know of cases that affected loved ones and close friends. I lost a sister this past Dec to covid and it is not something that chooses an age group or any other specifics. We lost a friend and all around great person. Without getting into politics or any beliefs I just would like to say please consider the Vaccine not only for yourself but for those around you  and for those you may even touch just by a simple press of a key on a keyboard. With a heavy heart, Rest In Peace . My condolences go out to the family. 

26 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Now I know I have not been here for some time and heard this news through another scroller. I knew he was a regular contributor here and I have known Les for a long time through other sites. I was so sorry to hear that he passed. I knew he was battling the dreaded covid and it took him away from us all. I am sure many of us know of cases that affected loved ones and close friends. I lost a sister this past Dec to covid and it is not something that chooses an age group or any other specifics. We lost a friend and all around great person. Without getting into politics or any beliefs I just would like to say please consider the Vaccine not only for yourself but for those around you  and for those you may even touch just by a simple press of a key on a keyboard. With a heavy heart, Rest In Peace . My condolences go out to the family. 

J.T., I have missed you and all your sage advice. Please give some tbought to rejoining us here at the Village. Losing Les has been hard on me but if you return it might take away some of the hurt. 

Les will be missed by all of us.  He will be remembered for the great guy that he was, but I believe that Les would want to be remembered for his tag line at SSV:

Rockytime aka Les

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Rest in peace my friend, we will meet again on the other side of the river.