How does one "bottom feed" without standing on your head?

MarieC

So I am going to do what I think is called "fret work" and I am trying to figure out the best way that will work for me.  I get how to top feed but I would like to try bottom feed...However, I do not know how to feed an itty bitty blade into an itty bitty hole without climbing under the board.  Since I am new I would at least like to know what tips and tricks to try before totally giving up on it.  So why would someone bottom feed vs top feed?  Does the board look better because there are no scratches on top from top feeding?  Thanks ahead of time.  Marie

Kind of depends on how big the project is. Big projects are harder to do.. most stuff I do I can tilt the board up to see the holes and then guide the blade to the hole and lower the board down. I rarely have to bend down to see with this method.. as I said, big projects are harder to do and sometimes does require bending down to see.

Sometimes I have to duck my head under too.  But I do like Kevin does and tilt the project up a tish to feed it under.  I also pinch the top of the blade so about an 1/8" or so is above my thumb.  I find it easier to find the pilot hole.  A lot of it is done by feel.  Kinda like sewing or embroidery, you have a rough idea of where you need to be and you eventually find your home.  :rofl:

50 minutes ago, MarieC said:

So I am going to do what I think is called "fret work" and I am trying to figure out the best way that will work for me.  I get how to top feed but I would like to try bottom feed...However, I do not know how to feed an itty bitty blade into an itty bitty hole without climbing under the board.  Since I am new I would at least like to know what tips and tricks to try before totally giving up on it.  So why would someone bottom feed vs top feed?  Does the board look better because there are no scratches on top from top feeding?  Thanks ahead of time.  Marie

Being a fairly new scroller I think it's something we all struggle with when we start.  I've had times where it's took me longer to thread the blade than cut the hole 🤣🤣🤣

It is a lot easier to do if your saw is one with an upper arm you can raise. Also when I had my old Craftsman SS I would drill all the holes and then using a small countersink bit I would dimple all the holes on the backside.

Edited by Moocifer Joe

21 minutes ago, Moocifer Joe said:

It is a lot easier to do if your saw is one with an upper arm you can raise. Also when I had my old Craftsman SS I would drill all the holes and then using a small countersink bit I would dimple all the holes on the backside.

Thank you. Great idea about adding a counter sink...I will have to look for a small bit with one of those attached to it.  The smallest one I have is way too big...

You can also use a larger drill bit as a countersink. I sometimes have done that, twisting the drill between my fingers gently on the hole to provide a small relief and deburr it, so to speak. I am a bottom feeder from the very start, and have never tied to top feed. I just loosen things up, lift the arm and lock it, tilt my head if necessary, and feed in the blade sort of like Travis does, pinched just shy of the end. It's the only way I have ever done it, so, for what it's worth.

47 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

Another way that helps a lot to find the drilled hole on the bottom of the pattern is to take a pencil and twirl it while it is inserted in the bottom of the drilled holes. You won't believe how much easier it is to find the hole that way.

Dick

heppnerguy

Dang simple and effective, thanks Dick I'm going to try this one.

I do similar to some of the others but not with a counter sink drill bit. I simply use a dental probe and dimple the hole on the bottom side to make sure the burrs are gone and provide a little recess. A lot of times the pieces I work with, the pilot holes are less than 1/4 inch apart. I've found it easiest to line the hole I'm seeking directly in the line of site and I only have to remove the blade from the previous cut and move it either straight towards or away from my eyes to find the hole.

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I have some small countersink bits without the drill bit,  that can fit in a hand held device. Might work on the underside. 

Thank you Gene, Are you talking about using maybe a dremel tool?  or just a hand drill?

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

Another way that helps a lot to find the drilled hole on the bottom of the pattern is to take a pencil and twirl it while it is inserted in the bottom of the drilled holes. You won't believe how much easier it is to find the hole that way.

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, Thank you, so after you drill your holes, you would turn the board over and take a pencil and put it in the holes then spin it around?  That sounds like an easy way to do it.  Will that work on hard woods such as walnut? Thanks again :)

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, Thank you, so after you drill your holes, you would turn the board over and take a pencil and put it in the holes then spin it around?  That sounds like an easy way to do it.  Will that work on hard woods such as walnut? Thanks again :)

48 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I have a very small countersink that I "open" up the drill holes on the under side. Then I take a black marker and dot all the holes. It's fairly easy to see them without having to stand upside down. Far easier than top feeding as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you....So Ray, is the counter sink attached to your small drill bit or do you do it after you drill the holes?

38 minutes ago, Dak0ta52 said:

I do similar to some of the others but not with a counter sink drill bit. I simply use a dental probe and dimple the hole on the bottom side to make sure the burrs are gone and provide a little recess. A lot of times the pieces I work with, the pilot holes are less than 1/4 inch apart. I've found it easiest to line the hole I'm seeking directly in the line of site and I only have to remove the blade from the previous cut and move it either straight towards or away from my eyes to find the hole.

I like the idea of "line of site", it will also keep me from getting lost.  So when you speak of a dental probe, is it like one of the ones below or does it have a bigger tip?

image.thumb.png.43c46460576d4ef70415ee185e3190c4.png

20 minutes ago, MarieC said:

I like the idea of "line of site", it will also keep me from getting lost.  So when you speak of a dental probe, is it like one of the ones below or does it have a bigger tip?

image.thumb.png.43c46460576d4ef70415ee185e3190c4.png

I have a set like pictured but I use the small ones from Harbour Freight. You can get a set of 4 at less than $5, an on sale for less than that. The ones from Harbour Freight have a little thicker probe. I use the ones like you have pictured to clear cut-out pieces that are being temperamental about dropping out after I've made the cut.

Marie, if you can top feed, there is no reason to bottom feed! When I first started scrolling, I had a bottom feeding saw. Oh how I hated changing from on hole to the next. When I got my first DeWALT saw, I took to top feeding immediately. It is so much easier to top feed. I would never go back to bottom feeding.

Think about it, what direction do the saw teeth point.. Easier to feed the blade up through a hole than down through.  Down through you blade is trying to cut as it is pushed through the hole.  I have never stood on my head to bottom feed. I raise the piece of wood, start the blade through the hole and then hold the blade at the top of the blade as lower the wood back to the table.  Even when I had saws you could top feed from(Excalibur/Seyco) I found it easier to bottom feed.  You raise the board at an angle up off the table.  But I do not understand why you worry it, you have an Excalibur, top feed, if that works for you that is they way you should sail your boat, so something like that.

19 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

But I do not understand why you worry it, you have an Excalibur, top feed, if that works for you that is they way you should sail your boat, so something like that.

Paul. Thank you for your insight.....well, the saw blade direction makes sense. Maybe that is why I am having difficulty getting it in the holes when I try top feeding.... so, my EX 21 arm sometimes comes down when I am top feeding before I can finish getting the blade in the hole. Then my blade is all bent 😐.  So I thought I would try bottom feeding and just looking for any tips I can gather before giving it a try.  mc