Foot Control

Trka2002

The foot controls I have seen either turn it on on or off or another kind you have to hold it down with you foot, if you take your foot off the saw stops. They do make variable speed controls for routers that don't have variable speed control. That may or may not work with a scroll saw motor. I don't know.

95% of the time I am standing when I saw. The regular foot control (which I now have 2 of and don't use) is more for use when sawing while sitting (in my opinion) .. I bought a foot switch through Amazon... it is about 4 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches and only 1 1/2 inch high.... works better for me than the pedal foot controll

The statement of do not use VS with a VS motor is correct. Some people tried using a sewing machine foot pedal and they burned the motor up. A word to the wise do not do it. There is actually no need for it. You do not vary the speed as you cut. Need to vary speed use the dial meant for this.  

Stop and think about how tiring that would be trying to hold steady a certain speed with your foot. Does not make sense in scrolling. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Well, I can see where it would be a nice feature, to be able to control the speed with a foot pedal, but I have never seen one that does.  I don't understand how it would work with a VS saw.  Would you disconnect the VS control switch on the saw or turn it to full speed and hook the foot switch after it some how??

I mean, John, there is actually no need for a foot switch, there is an on and off switch on a saw also.

Anyway, unless it is specific  to my saws,,, I would not think of trying it.  Motors are expensive.

Dave, is you switch a "dead man' which the you have to keep you foot on to run your saw, lift you foot off and it quits? Or the toggle on and off type that step on turn it on, step on again turn it off?  I would think the latter would work best for standing.

Edited by Scrappile

I agree with all of the above!

Well, I can see where it would be a nice feature, to be able to control the speed with a foot pedal, but I have never seen one that does.  I don't understand how it would work with a VS saw.  Would you disconnect the VS control switch on the saw or turn it to full speed and hook the foot switch after it some how??

I mean, John, there is actually no need for a foot switch, there is an on and off switch on a saw also.

Anyway, unless it is specific  to my saws,,, I would not think of trying it.  Motors are expensive.

Dave, is you switch a "dead man' which the you have to keep you foot on to run your saw, lift you foot off and it quits? Or the toggle on and off type that step on turn it on, step on again turn it off?  I would think the latter would work best for standing.

The statement of do not use VS with a VS motor is correct. Some people tried using a sewing machine foot pedal and they burned the motor up. A word to the wise do not do it. There is actually no need for it. You do not vary the speed as you cut. Need to vary speed use the dial meant for this.  

Stop and think about how tiring that would be trying to hold steady a certain speed with your foot. Does not make sense in scrolling. 

95% of the time I am standing when I saw. The regular foot control (which I now have 2 of and don't use) is more for use when sawing while sitting (in my opinion) .. I bought a foot switch through Amazon... it is about 4 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches and only 1 1/2 inch high.... works better for me than the pedal foot controll

Listen to Scott!!!

I have never seen any thing like you are asking for.

IKE

You CAN NOT use a variable speed foot control on a scrollsaw unless it was designed specifically for your saw and model. Else you will burn out your motor in very short order. You can only use on of the on/off types.

The foot controls I have seen either turn it on on or off or another kind you have to hold it down with you foot, if you take your foot off the saw stops. They do make variable speed controls for routers that don't have variable speed control. That may or may not work with a scroll saw motor. I don't know.

I think Wayne is right...mine is on/off as well !

The ones I have in my shop are on/off. Don't know of any that control speed too. 

Good morning,
Now that there are two scroll saws in my shop, I am looking to get another foot control. The one I have know is just on/off and I'm looking for one to control speed. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks,
Troy

I agree with all of the above!

Both Judy Gale Roberts at Intarsia.com and Ray at Seyco sell foot control switches.

https://intarsia.com/collections/hardware/products/foot-switch  and  http://seyco.com/fs-3-universal-15-amp-foot-switch/

However, I had previously purchased one from Amazon before I got started and found either Judy's or Seyco's site.  The second used saw I bought came with the saw.

Mine is the saw is "on" and running while stepping on it and stops immediately if I lift my foot.  I much prefer using the foot pedal while sawing and use it both when I sit or stand at the saw.  As noted, you control the speed with the variable speed knob on the saw its self.

Edited by meflick

Your all all most right😂 most units will not except vs but if you have a external motor belt drive like some of the older excalibur you can add a 1700 r p m moter that will convert to vs. as far as a foot control will it's not like your car were have inches of play to get and hold your speed, no doubt it would work ... But..

If I'm not mistaken, Harbor Freight has both kinds. I bought an on/off one but I can see why you might want to have one that regulates speed/power. Sort of like the  foot pedal that sewing machines use.

Do not do it. Please give me one example where you would need to change speed when you started cutting.  Never come across a situation and I have cut many materials. Change speed before you start not while you are cutting and how do you hold that exact speed as you cut??? 

John is correct.  Two types are toggle on and off and the deadman where you keep you foot on the pedal to keep it running.  That is the kind I prefer but I don't scroll standing. 

I do adjust speed fairly often when doing delicate fret work pictures.  There are places I need to go slow and then speed back up.  It would be nice to be able to do that with foot control like you can do with a sewing machine, but I would never try it with any pedal unless it was specifically designed for the saw.  I like my saws too much.

Do not do it. Please give me one example where you would need to change speed when you started cutting.  Never come across a situation and I have cut many materials. Change speed before you start not while you are cutting and how do you hold that exact speed as you cut??? 

I agree with you 100% JT, I was just trying to give an answer to the OP's question. I use a foot pedal with just the on/off option.

Like has already been pointed out by others DO NOT connect any type of variable speed control to a scroll saw unless it is designed specifically for that saws motor. Varying a motor speed differs greatly depending on motor type.   I only want to have to replace a motor if it fails from normal wear and use. 

This is the pedal I use on my Dewalt and Excalibur saws... have been using this pedal for 6 - 7 years

Available in Amazon for about $23.00

post-31333-0-31970500-1491321039.jpg

Edited by The Scroll Troll

Even though I have only made one other post, I have done quite a bit of cutting, while sitting. When I first started I would break blades rather quickly, since I was self taught without the aid of the internet. I found the deadman switch to be a very helpful tool. when the blade would break my natural instinct was to jump, thus pulling my foot from the switch. I don't know if that helped save wear and tear on the saw, but it made me feel good not to hear the saw clanking with no (one piece) blade installed.

I hope this helps.

Jim

Edited by Grumpy Old Bear