Blade recommendation for stack snowflake ornaments

Runa

I have been stack cutting shielalandry snow flakes ornaments for the dec craft fair and find that the bosch blade (28tpi, 0.22") keeps breaking. I like the way it cuts amd easy to turn but stack cutting 4 1/8 dulls them fairly quickly and they break :(. Buy those at lowes since i have been trying a few different setup on saw and that breaks them :(.

What do you use to stack cut or 1/2" that also allows good turning for delicate design?

18 minutes ago, Runa said:

I have been stack cutting shielalandry snow flakes ornaments for the dec craft fair and find that the bosch blade (28tpi, 0.22") keeps breaking. I like the way it cuts amd easy to turn but stack cutting 4 1/8 dulls them fairly quickly and they break :(. Buy those at lowes since i have been trying a few different setup on saw and that breaks them :(.

What do you use to stack cut or 1/2" that also allows good turning for delicate design?

I use # 1 or 3 pegas modified geometry for up to half I have never used Bosch scrollsaw blades. 

Fred fret

Wichita,ks

I don't know that particular pattern, but since you are only cutting 1/2" total, a FDUR-3 will cut right through most anything with more than acceptable results.  There are mail order sources for quality blades.  Bosch is not one of them.  Get Olson or Flying Dutchman and if you are an average to above average cutter, you can get Pegas blades.  I would not recommend the Pegas for a novice cutter, but they are great blades also.  

Wayne was right on the money about letting the blade do the work.  I find that if I am putting a deadline on myself, I tend to push and end up with blade troubles until I get my mind right about the "deadline".

throw the bosch blades away for starters! & since you've got better blades on the way, be patient. Depending on your saw speed, I wouldn't run it much above 3. And again, let the the saw do the work. With a better blade, you're goin' to notice sharper turns & deeper cuts in curves & round abouts. Be careful!

8 hours ago, Jim McDonald said:

I don't know that particular pattern, but since you are only cutting 1/2" total, a FDUR-3 will cut right through most anything with more than acceptable results.  There are mail order sources for quality blades.  Bosch is not one of them.  Get Olson or Flying Dutchman and if you are an average to above average cutter, you can get Pegas blades.  I would not recommend the Pegas for a novice cutter, but they are great blades also. 

Jim, not trying to start a discussion or anything, but I curious why the distinction for the Pegasus blade.

4 hours ago, JimErn said:

Jim, not trying to start a discussion or anything, but I curious why the distinction for the Pegasus blade.

From my experience (and I still consider myself a novice), the Pegasus is a more aggressive cutting blade than a Flying Dutchman so it cuts a little faster than I am comfortable with (or maybe it just cuts faster than I can).

2 hours ago, stevan said:

From my experience (and I still consider myself a novice), the Pegasus is a more aggressive cutting blade than a Flying Dutchman so it cuts a little faster than I am comfortable with (or maybe it just cuts faster than I can).

To echo Stevan, I find the Pegas blade more aggressive.  I tried them when I was a novice cutter and quite frankly--they got away from me.  After more time cutting and getting a better feel for blade/wood/speed, I could handle that blade much more effectively.  I would hate a fairly new scroller to get a blade they can't handle and it is based 100% on personal experience.

21 hours ago, stevan said:

18 hours ago, Jim McDonald said:

To echo Stevan, I find the Pegas blade more aggressive.  I tried them when I was a novice cutter and quite frankly--they got away from me.  After more time cutting and getting a better feel for blade/wood/speed, I could handle that blade much more effectively.  I would hate a fairly new scroller to get a blade they can't handle and it is based 100% on personal experience.

Interesting,  I am a new scroller too, coming up on the end of the second year.  I never thought of my ability to control the speed of feeding the wood as part of the equation.

I have nerve damage in my hands, frost bite twice in the  military, when I drag my thumb up an FDUR blade to find the direction of the teeth, I can barely feel it, but when I do the same with the same size PMG blade I feel it easily, in my view they are sharper.  I wonder if that is the aggressiveness y'all feel.  I know cutting straight lines, especially parallel lines is easier with the PMG blade.

Thanks for that insight, I will keep the whole equation in mind.

Jim