Sanding mops - Use 'em? Make 'em or buy 'em?

new2woodwrk

I have done both.  I have made several from the Klingspor gold which is what they make them out of.  It takes a lot of time and effort to make them especially cutting the thin strips on the ends.  

You need to use really good cloth backed sand paper to make them.

Now, I just buy them.....too much of a hassle.

22 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

I have done both.  I have made several from the Klingspor gold which is what they make them out of.  It takes a lot of time and effort to make them especially cutting the thin strips on the ends.  

You need to use really good cloth backed sand paper to make them.

Now, I just buy them.....too much of a hassle.

I have a klingspor box which is why I'm building them - the prices of those things pre-made is insane!

Edited by new2woodwrk

I think they are pretty reasonably priced given the price of the Klingspor Gold and difficulty making them.  Things like drilling the hole in 48 strips of cloth backed abrasive and cutting the 1/4" wide strips on both ends of 48 pieces is also not fun.

After you have made a couple and compare them to the pre made ones, I would like to hear your review.

This kind of discussion seems to come up every few months and I guess I really don't understand it - there are - at least for me - a few items where I notice costs - and replacing my sanding mop refills is not one of them - they last forever - in my six years of scrollsawing I have purchased sanding mops twice (I checked) - both times I purchased two refills - and still have a spare refill waiting for the next time I need it - so I guess what I am saying is that sanding mops are not a big expense.   My top three expenditures - by a lot - are: propane (winter heat); hardwood (walnut, oak, cherry, elm); and rattle can polyurethane - any significant costs associated with purchasing sanding mops refills really don't even get to the ball park.

Jay

Edited by RangerJay

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I came to the same conclusion. Life is already too short but to waste time making something that can be bought, even though the price gags you, your time is better spent on actually doing something you enjoy.

Ray

1 hour ago, RangerJay said:

This kind of discussion seems to come up every few months and I guess I really don't understand it - there are - at least for me - a few items where I notice costs - and replacing my sanding mop refills is not one of them - they last forever - in my six years of scrollsawing I have purchased sanding mops twice (I checked) - both times I purchased two refills - and still have a spare refill waiting for the next time I need it - so I guess what I am saying is that sanding mops are not a big expense.   My top three expenditures - by a lot - are: propane (winter heat); hardwood (walnut, oak, cherry, elm); and rattle can polyurethane - any significant costs associated with purchasing sanding mops refills really don't even get to the ball park.

Jay

2 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I think they are pretty reasonably priced given the price of the Klingspor Gold and difficulty making them.  Things like drilling the hole in 48 strips of cloth backed abrasive and cutting the 1/4" wide strips on both ends of 48 pieces is also not fun.

After you have made a couple and compare them to the pre made ones, I would like to hear your review.

Thanks all, sometimes it's just about making things - the ones I've seen are $30 each - haven't seen any refills for them though - feel free to link the ones you all use.

$30 x 3 = $90.

For me $90 will buy me 2 sheets of 4x8 ply (sanded 1/4 and 1/8) - so if I can make 3 of those things with the sand paper I have ( it would take me a life time to use all the sand paper in this box LOL), it works for me.

Look at this way.... It's an adventure!

I made them once cutting my own paper etc., not worth my time for the pennies saved. I have also decided that I prefer the Mac mop style from Klingspore much more.

I love to make my own stuff, but there is no joy or entertainment value in making sanding mops in my opinion. 

They have a sale going on right now

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/mm07204/

I use a 180 for the hard woods and 220 for the softer and final finishing.

Edited by Rolf

13 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Thanks all, sometimes it's just about making things - the ones I've seen are $30 each - haven't seen any refills for them though - feel free to link the ones you all use.

$30 x 3 = $90.

For me $90 will buy me 2 sheets of 4x8 ply (sanded 1/4 and 1/8) - so if I can make 3 of those things with the sand paper I have ( it would take me a life time to use all the sand paper in this box LOL), it works for me.

Look at this way.... It's an adventure!

If you already own the correct sandpaper to make them from probably worth it to make em but if you have to buy the cloth back paper it's cheaper to just buy them. That's What I found when I was looking anyway. I'm sure the manufacturers know this and price accordingly. I doubt it's a coincidence it's just about same cost to make as to purchase.

A few years ago, I read an article on Steve Goode's blog on making sand mops -- http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.co...-on-cheap.html

So, I ordered some Gold Flex sanding rolls from Klingspor and tried it. It worked great. But did I save any money? A little bit. At Klingspor, a 2" wide roll cost $14.95 and the mandrel cost $9.95 = $24.80.

A pack of 48 pre-cut strips cost $29.95, with the mandrell = $39.80.

But you have to consider the cost of drilling and cutting the strips. You will be cutting cloth backed sandpaper, so blades do not last very long. I use the FD-HD blades which cost about 50 cents each. It takes 6 - 7 blades to cut the fingers in the strips - add $3.50. One of the pictures, below, shows what happens to blades after cutting 6 2" lines.

You need to drill a 1/2" hole through the strips. Don't try that unless you have a method for sharpening drill bits. I use a Drill Doctor, but not everyone has something like that.

By making your own, you will get 60 strips out of a roll of sand paper, vice the 48 that comes in a pack. So, you will have a bit larger mop than a pre-cut one.
A well used mop will last two or three years (at least mine do). Now that I only have to buy the sanding roll and blades I get away with a cost of $18.50 per mop - plus the time it takes to make it. Compared to the $29.95 for pre-cut strips, I save money. But, I'm a retired hobbyist. A production shop would have to reconsider time & materials.

Something to consider - save a little money by rolling your own.

sandmop-1.jpg

sandmop2.jpg

sandmop3.jpg

sandmop4.jpg

sandmop5.jpg

sandmop6.jpg

The one being discussed here is the sanding mop.  Tgiro has a great example of how to make them. I made them in a very similar manner and wore out multiple blades cutting them.  Can you save some money....yes.  But, I just buy the refills.

The second picture that octoolguy posted is a Mac Mop.  I use it for more delicate work while a sanding mop for heavier work. You can also vary how they work by changing speeds.  My drill press has infinitely variable speed by turning a knob so easy to find best setup for each sanding operation.

I never even heard of sanding mops until I noticed this thread.  I'm not sure whether or not I would have a use for one, so now I'm off to do some research.

I can tell you that I'm pretty sure that if I decide that one would be of use to me, I won't spend my time making one -I will buy it.

15 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

I never even heard of sanding mops until I noticed this thread.  I'm not sure whether or not I would have a use for one, so now I'm off to do some research.

I can tell you that I'm pretty sure that if I decide that one would be of use to me, I won't spend my time making one -I will buy it.

I buy mine from Klingspor.  I am lucky that I can drive to a Klingspor store and I belong to a wood working club that gets a small discount.  I use mine a lot on hardwood  puzzle pieces.  I just "soften" the edges.  I also like them for doing the same on hardwood ornaments and compound cut items.  I do not use it on plywood. 

I have not ever used a mop, but every time this topic comes up I think about buying one. 

I have things like this https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-Fine-Finishing-Sander-9416NA/dp/B00004Z4DK that I use, and really like.

Several years ago Menards had them on clearance (and really cheap) so I bought all of them. I think I am down to my last one so I might have to switch up my system soon.

1 hour ago, MrsN said:

I have not ever used a mop, but every time this topic comes up I think about buying one. 

I have things like this https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-Fine-Finishing-Sander-9416NA/dp/B00004Z4DK that I use, and really like.

Several years ago Menards had them on clearance (and really cheap) so I bought all of them. I think I am down to my last one so I might have to switch up my system soon.

I've thought of purchasing that one the other day since it was under $10! I may still get it

I did purchase this though: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5LXZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since it was under $20!

I too make my own mop. The only costs I incur is the sandpaper. I save all my old blades and use them to cut the 1/4" inch strips. Some blades last longer than others but who cares, they were gonna get chucked anyways. i also have made scotchbrite sanding balls. They are much easier to make then the mops. All it takes is an old pair of scissors. 

The mop on left is an inch and a half by five. Center mop is 1 x 3 inch. Scotchbrite ball is/was 3". 

image.jpeg

Edited by Gonzo
Add picture and dimensions

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 6:47 AM, MrsN said:

Thanks Katie for that link. That looks like the best and most economical way to go. At least for now. Maybe after I get my tax refund check (ha ha) I'll invest in the more expensive kind.

R

• 5 years later...