For the Birds - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

birds.png

I just put up a bird feeder outside my office window and I'm patiently waiting for my bird friends to discover it.  So until they do, this month's scroll saw challenge is bird themed!  Post your scroll saw project that is related to our feathered friends.  Bird portrait, eagles, puzzles, clocks, bird houses, bird feeders or whatever!  I can't wait to see them.  When you post, tell us a little something about it.  Or maybe share which birds are coming to visit your house.  Have fun!

22 hours ago, Tomanydogs said:

This hummingbird was one of my first projects, made for my daughter-in-law for her birthday. I found the image on line, but the stem was added my me and since I’m not very artistic the stem is not very appealing. I hollowed out a rock as the base. 

6D9E6B06-9AA7-45A4-A89D-A8883CCAE284.jpeg

A nice project. I love that you used a natural rock to make the base. I believe, had you sanded the trunk round it would have added to the appeal. I bet your daughter  loved this one

Dick

heppnerguy

15 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Eagles have been one of my go to patterns since I started scrolling.  However, birds in general has been my popular subject and makes up a large part of what I have completed.   In fact, not shown yet, I just finished another Parrot cutting, but is still in the finishing and framing process. 

Diving eagle.jpg

Soarimg Eagle 1.JPG

Birds - Craftsmanplace.jpg

American Eagle - Jenevski.jpg

Birds3s - ZM Creations.jpg

Birds4 - ZM Creatiosn.jpg

Peacock - ZM Creations.jpg

Tucon - ZM Creations.jpg

Bird5 - ZM Creations.jpg

Bird6 - ZM Creations.jpg

Eagle - ZM Creations.jpg

Hmbird5 - ZM Creations.jpg

Owl - seyit 1.jpg

Macaw - K Hopkins 1.JPG

The Guardian.jpg

Cranes3 - ZM Creations.jpg

Eagle Bust 2 - Russ Beard.jpg

Parrot and Peony - Henny Donovan 1.jpg

Kingfisher - Botas.jpg

Eagle in Flag - Alex Fox 1.jpg

Eagle Bust Russ Beard.jpg

Parot  2.JPG

Wow' A stunning array of bird cuttings. You do a fabulous job, not only in your cutting but also the great finishing touches such as the beautiful matting and framing. Makes them really attractive

Dick

heppnerguy

10 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

Like FrankEV, birds make up a large part of the scroll-lsawn work that I have done and, right now, I am just completing and framing another one.

But, unlike him, I will only post the photo of one bird in this thread.  I'm going to go away for a little while right now and figure out my favourite, then post it here. ...

... I'm back.  My favourite is Brrrrdbath:

245079997_Brrrdbath17-Framed-small.thumb.JPG.cd9ff3dcca0c1970ea744e32ae28262f.JPG

I designed this based upon a serigraph by Charlie Harper. I used Baltic birch plywood for most of the the pieces and the backing. The snow pieces were cut from maple dowel and the rain pieces were fashioned by sanding down axel caps originally intended for use with wooden toys.

What an absolutely fun project. It has kind of a simplistic look but it loaded with a lot of creativity and complexity at the same time. What an eye catcher this one is.

Dick

heppnerguy

7 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Victorian-Birdfeeder.jpg.4738aff163f83f61108b966e44ea6bcd.jpg

This is not a picture of mine, but I have made three of these, two before I ever realy got into doing Scroll Saw work.  Owned a Scroll Saw for many years. The first two feeders was the only projects I used it on when I was up in NC.  Making the third after moving to Florida was what actualy got me interested in doing more scroll work, that was about  20 or so months ago. 

The one I currently have in my back yard looks like a bomb exploded in it as the squirrels tore it apart.  Even so the birds love it when I remember to fill the tray with seed.  We get Cardinals, Doves, Bluejays, all sorts of small brown birds, small Wood Peckers and Painted Buntings (I swore were small parrots or parrakeets...my ladey corrected me by showing me them in a book of birds we have.)

The feeders were made of untreated 1/2" ply and painted with oil based enamel.  However, even well painted they don't hoild up well in the elements, especially here in the florida sunshine...both the hot kind and the wet kind.

I intend to remake it again and this time try to find some better wood, like maybe marine grade ply. (We have lots of boat building places around here.)

Anyway the pattern was in SWW many moons ago.  You can down load it here: https://scrollsawer.com/2011/05/04/victorian-birdfeeder/

Travis did say we can post aboth Bird house and Feeders also, so I took him up on his suggestion.

I have yet to make a bird feeder but like you Southern Arizona brings a lot of interesting birds here, year around. I should probably take a shot at making a bird feeder too.

Dick

heppnerguy

35 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

What an absolutely fun project. It has kind of a simplistic look but it loaded with a lot of creativity and complexity at the same time. What an eye catcher this one is.

Dick

heppnerguy

You really do understand what I put into this piece Richard.  Thanks

On 5/12/2021 at 7:44 PM, heppnerguy said:

A nice project. I love that you used a natural rock to make the base. I believe, had you sanded the trunk round it would have added to the appeal. I bet your daughter  loved this one

Dick

heppnerguy

You’re right Dick I should have sanded the stem and added a leaf, wish I would have though of that at the time. Actually my daughter-in-law’s mother liked it so much she bought herself a scroll saw just to make the hummingbird. Now she makes a variety of things.