Steve Good - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

Great cutting, Thurman. 

How does mesquite cut? I've got several good sized 8/4 slabs for tables and, a number of 4/4 planks. All live edge. Most have lots of worm holes of various descriptions.  You never know what you'll find when you open up one with the BS. I'd think you'd need to be quite judicious in selecting stock for scrolling.

Hey, Happner Guy, you ever try it? Mine comes from Dead Tree Salvage near you.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:30 PM, Hawk said:

Been thinking about this pattern for some time, this challenge was the push for me to do it. I'm not sure if the paint job is pure genius or total fail, when I was trying to spray the inside edges the green got kinda thick in spots. Total accident as to how it came out.

Anyhow,  the reason for the Dragon is my daughter is attending Digipen University in Washington.  It's a digital media school mostly centered around the gaming industry.  Their mascot is a Dragon. 

And a shout to Steve.  Many thanks for all you do in creating patterns for us to cut. 

20230119_171746.jpg

That paint job looks great! Nice cutting!!!!

20 hours ago, jovanni62 said:

I, like many of you, have cut numerous projects by Steve Good. Attached is just one of the many. It's made from walnut and mounted on a piece of bark from a live edge walnut. Thank you Steve for all of the years at my saw!

IMG_20230121_133044351.jpg

Very Nice. I really like the way you have this mounted. And the color in the background is awesome!

On 1/21/2023 at 4:10 AM, Gene Howe said:

Great cutting, Thurman. 

How does mesquite cut? I've got several good sized 8/4 slabs for tables and, a number of 4/4 planks. All live edge. Most have lots of worm holes of various descriptions.  You never know what you'll find when you open up one with the BS. I'd think you'd need to be quite judicious in selecting stock for scrolling.

@Gene Howe  I like mesquite and enjoy working with it.  It is hard and dense and it is dark and finishes up very nicely; some would say it looks rustic.

You are lucky to have live edge boards, you can use that to achieve a great rustic look.

A lot of mesquite does have cracks, knots, etc and you do have to be judicious in using it.  For scrolling, I resaw and plane mine to the desired size and thickness, paying attention to flaws in the wood.  I often place the pattern to work around the flaws and to use the character of the wood to go with the character of the pattern.  

It is an interesting wood to work with.  

Post pictures when you do something with yours.  

20 hours ago, TAIrving said:

@Gene Howe  I like mesquite and enjoy working with it.  It is hard and dense and it is dark and finishes up very nicely; some would say it looks rustic.

You are lucky to have live edge boards, you can use that to achieve a great rustic look.

A lot of mesquite does have cracks, knots, etc and you do have to be judicious in using it.  For scrolling, I resaw and plane mine to the desired size and thickness, paying attention to flaws in the wood.  I often place the pattern to work around the flaws and to use the character of the wood to go with the character of the pattern.  

It is an interesting wood to work with.  

Post pictures when you do something with yours.  

Will do. 

On 1/21/2023 at 4:10 AM, Gene Howe said:

Great cutting, Thurman. 

@Gene Howe

A few more things about scrolling with mesquite:  it is a very good wood for scrolling.

The blade goes where you point it, does not try to follow the grain.

I have never had a burn when scrolling with mesquite.

No fuzzies.  I think that is because it is a hard wood.

No breakouts, again because it is a hard wood.

Placing and removing patterns is easy.  I use full sheet labels and put them directly on the mesquite, no blue tape, etc.  The pattern stays in place and,after cutting, pulls off easily without pulling wood fibers.  This again because it is a hard wood and it helps that I sand the wood before cutting, usual to 240 grit or finer.  

The only real issue is that dark wood is not the best for all projects. 

• Travis unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Looks like I forgot to post anything here.  I've done a lot of Steve's patterns in the past several years since I've been scrolling (about 7 years now!) Some I'm not even sure if they are his its been so long since I did them.  Will need to check and see I guess! 

https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/04/part-three-of-toy-box-build.html has this free standing Easter Bunny in an Egg I did a few years back:

image.thumb.jpeg.c99fcf5404c6b98d3458eef59c8589a3.jpeg

Then I did this Compound Cut "Love You" many years ago now: https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2012/10/this-is-pattern-i-used-in-yesterdays.html

image.thumb.jpeg.87d03ac472f0c5436342d16d961570a3.jpeg

and I did this Volleyball Trophy he created.  I made this one from his pattern modified to add Number and name and college.  His was the hitter, i then created one with a Libero digging the ball for my daughter who played Libero through high school and college.

image.thumb.jpeg.29b68cc2c6437b5b1cf328b167d4f50a.jpeg

Those are just 3 of the many of Steve's patterns I have done.  Many I don't seem to have photos of. Steve's blog was one of the first scrolling sites I found when I started to learn and I was so thankful for he and his site with all the patterns.  I still check his site every day (along with the Village) to see what he has added and have plenty more I want to cut.

Edited by meflick

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Humm resurrection this started in 2019! 

No, if you look at Travis’ first post, he started this about Jan. 3 2023 so this year. Some of us are just a little slow to post to it (but months not years 😉☺️). I kept meaning too, but would always forget to look through my photos of projects. When Jim added his, I had some time to look so added a few of mine I could track down. 🙂