Resting Between Cutting Sessions

I'm working on an article and one of the sections is about getting away from the saw to reset.

I'm curious, how long will you sit at the scroll saw (actively cutting) at a time before you get up and away from the saw for a bit.  I'm not talking calling it a day or anything, but actual active cutting. 

Personally, I might cut for 10-15 minutes before I get up and do something else, just to give myself a rest.  Usually sanding, prepping the materials, or drilling holes, etc.  It might be 5 minutes of other stuff before sitting back down. 

How long is your rest between active cutting sessions?

It kind of depends on the project for me (ie if very detailed portrait type of cutting that's going to take 12 hours to complete then I typically drill 10 - 20 holes and sit and cut those out then get up to drill more holes and always walk over to the sander to sand the back side burs off of the drilled holes. ) but typically every 20 - 30 minutes I'm getting up and doing something else for around 5-10 minutes. Some projects I might sit a little longer just to complete it if it's almost finished or something. 

Side Note: I drill the 10-20 holes in those large portrait type patterns and put a tick mark on it so to keep track of how many drilled holes I did for said project.. since that is one thing I'm often asked is how many holes did you have to drill and cut.. Most designers don't count to give that sort of info even though as I understand it... that info can be generated in the drawing software somehow so nobody really has to physically count.. 

Typically I go a couple hours at a time.  Pretty sure there was one project I sat at the saw for 8 hours minimum straight.  I know I had to go to the bathroom a couple times, but then it was back to it.  

Depending on the project, its whatever I can get done in an evening, so about 2 maybe 3 hours at a time with only bathroom stops. 

2 minutes ago, rash_powder said:

Typically I go a couple hours at a time.  Pretty sure there was one project I sat at the saw for 8 hours minimum straight.  I know I had to go to the bathroom a couple times, but then it was back to it.  

Depending on the project, its whatever I can get done in an evening, so about 2 maybe 3 hours at a time with only bathroom stops. 

You don't get up from your chair, that's solid cutting?  As in the machine is constantly running?

Like Kevin, it depends a lot on the project. Typically I'll spend 45 min. to 1 hr. before I get up for a break. Usually that break is working on another project I have on the go or getting one ready to start. If I finish the cuts on a project, I'm usually have another project in waiting and will start cutting again without much delay. However, if I've just finished a very detailed and delicate project, I'll usually let my next project be something simple. I use spirals with most of my heavily detailed work and my easy project will usually be something I can cut with straight blades.

First things first. I have been scrolling for over 40 years and never never never once did I ever keep tract of amount of holes or time cut. I ask you for those that do, WHY??? What difference does it actually make in the long run. When the project is done it is done. If you charge by the hour you are not doing yourself justice because you will never get enough money per hour. I laugh at people who have all these special formulas for trying to put a price on things. I see this alot on the pen turning sites now too. Do it long enough you know what a project should sell for because they fall into categories. Portraits, desk clocks, puzzles, intarsia and so forth. If it is an unusual size then the price can vary. Just because a piece has 10 more holes it should cost more??  Why?? 

Next when I was on the circuit I scrolled longer at a saw because I knew I needed stock. If I was just making something for the sake of making, I scroll till I got tired. I do not have set times. Some days you feel better than others. Now that I am retired and do not scroll much any more I go till I want. I do the same now with my pen turning. No time schedules here. As I got older I can not sit as long but that comes with age. Eyes tire faster too. Could not put any time numbers on any of that.  I may put a mental stopping point on but it means nothing in the whole picture. When I was on the circuit I did the assembly line thing though. Sand and prep wood. Lay patterns on wood. Drill and cut. Lay it aside and go to next one. One day I would strip patterns and take outside for routing if need be or just sanding. next day do a bunch of dipping in stain. Next day or two days later after finish has dried I wax pieces and put aside. That to me was a more productive way of getting things done. We all come up with a method that works for us. 

Depending on the project I'm cutting. I usually do my scrolling after work, so I scroll until I feel done for the night. Most times I'll scroll for an hour or two, other times maybe only 20 minutes.  During long scrolling times I might get up for 5 to 10 minutes for a break

Edited by Clayton717

My cowboy hats are done on the weekends.  Cutting the rings takes between 45 to 60 minutes each. I get about 2 rings complete then take a break. I pushed it to 3 rings once and my follow the line was not as good. The rings are about 0.12 inches between cuts. So concentration is key. Blades get dull about at 30 minutes.  I don't stop for a break in the middle of cutting a ring. I will change blades as needed.

7 rings are total of about 7 hours of cutting.

When just playing and get in a zone of trying techniques. I can play longer without breaks.  The try this, oh try that attitude sometimes goes longer. Next thing I know the wife comes out and asks about dinner.  I think huh lunch comes first.

I love those moments oh this would be cool. So I go try. 

Those moments are about 4months apart.

Me.

Mark Eason

As others are saying - depends on the project.  Before I was retired it spent more time on cutting in one session.  Now, I am trying to be more mindful of getting up and moving around.  With the Intarsia projects, I have been cutting one piece, putting in on the master plan which is across the room.  With fretwork, I am drilling a few holes then cutting.  Drill is on the other side so I have to get up and move.  

18 hours ago, Travis said:

I'm working on an article and one of the sections is about getting away from the saw to reset.

I'm curious, how long will you sit at the scroll saw (actively cutting) at a time before you get up and away from the saw for a bit.  I'm not talking calling it a day or anything, but actual active cutting. 

Personally, I might cut for 10-15 minutes before I get up and do something else, just to give myself a rest.  Usually sanding, prepping the materials, or drilling holes, etc.  It might be 5 minutes of other stuff before sitting back down. 

How long is your rest between active cutting sessions?

Travis I just reread your response and have to ask, how do you get anything done? 10 to 15 minutes and you have to get up. Then take another 5 minutes or more to do other things. Concentration man is key. if you have to rest after 15 minutes of cutting you need to get your chair or whatever in a better position to cut longer. I bet 30 minutes is an average here for normal cutting. I would go bonkers if I am getting up every 10 to 15 minutes. i think it is a better question to ask what position you work in when cutting. if your shoulder are slouched over and neck bent down to get a better view, of course you will tire faster. that is poor posture. You should be able to sit upright fairly straight while scrolling and if you have eye strain then either use a magnifier or get better glasses. Scrolling is suppose to be relaxing like sitting and watching TV.  

I will scroll until I start to feel it in my neck & shoulders.  Can't really say how long that takes, as there are variables and I never really kept track.  If I had to guess, somewhere around an hour maybe.  I know I've gone longer than that, but I don't think it's typical.

14 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

First things first. I have been scrolling for over 40 years and never never never once did I ever keep tract of amount of holes or time cut. I ask you for those that do, WHY??? What difference does it actually make in the long run. When the project is done it is done. If you charge by the hour you are not doing yourself justice because you will never get enough money per hour. I laugh at people who have all these special formulas for trying to put a price on things. I see this alot on the pen turning sites now too. Do it long enough you know what a project should sell for because they fall into categories. Portraits, desk clocks, puzzles, intarsia and so forth. If it is an unusual size then the price can vary. Just because a piece has 10 more holes it should cost more??  Why?? 

Next when I was on the circuit I scrolled longer at a saw because I knew I needed stock. If I was just making something for the sake of making, I scroll till I got tired. I do not have set times. Some days you feel better than others. Now that I am retired and do not scroll much any more I go till I want. I do the same now with my pen turning. No time schedules here. As I got older I can not sit as long but that comes with age. Eyes tire faster too. Could not put any time numbers on any of that.  I may put a mental stopping point on but it means nothing in the whole picture. When I was on the circuit I did the assembly line thing though. Sand and prep wood. Lay patterns on wood. Drill and cut. Lay it aside and go to next one. One day I would strip patterns and take outside for routing if need be or just sanding. next day do a bunch of dipping in stain. Next day or two days later after finish has dried I wax pieces and put aside. That to me was a more productive way of getting things done. We all come up with a method that works for us. 

Not all portraits are created the same so knowing how long it takes is a rough guess.. I've cut 11 x 14 inch portraits that only had 15 inside cuts and could be cut in 30 minutes... I've also cut portraits same size with 1187 inside cuts that took 14 hours to cut.. I don't do portrait type work anymore unless it's done on the CNC.. my CNC  design software tells me how long it'll take to carve.. I have a rough idea on how long it'll take to finish sand and seal up with clear.. It's a much more clear and accurate time frame than the wild guess you do with scroll sawing. I've made enough clocks and ornaments to give a good enough estimate.. but portrait work can be tricky.. maybe I just haven't done enough of those to get a good time estimate.. I quit selling them years ago because they are too hard to sell at a price point that is profitable.. For me anyway.. others may have better experiences than I did.  

Usually at least four hours scrolling before taking a break or call it quits for the day.  I get small breaks when I get up to drill some holes. There are times when I'm in the zone cutting a pattern as if I know what I'm doing and I lose track of time.  It really depends on how my body is acting at the time. 

I'm mostly talking about small breaks.  Get out of the chair to drill a few holes, attach a pattern, sweep the floor, check my email, or whatever.

8 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Travis I just reread your response and have to ask, how do you get anything done? 10 to 15 minutes and you have to get up. Then take another 5 minutes or more to do other things. Concentration man is key. if you have to rest after 15 minutes of cutting you need to get your chair or whatever in a better position to cut longer. I bet 30 minutes is an average here for normal cutting. I would go bonkers if I am getting up every 10 to 15 minutes. i think it is a better question to ask what position you work in when cutting. if your shoulder are slouched over and neck bent down to get a better view, of course you will tire faster. that is poor posture. You should be able to sit upright fairly straight while scrolling and if you have eye strain then either use a magnifier or get better glasses. Scrolling is suppose to be relaxing like sitting and watching TV.  

I guess I probably go a bit longer at the saw actively cutting...20-30 minutes max.  I never really timed it.  My setup is nice and comfortable.  I guess I'm not as focused as y'all are.  Maybe it's because I sit behind a computer all day for work.  When I'm in the shop, I like to get up and putter around and while away the day.  I'm not under any time constraints or deadlines.

I was just curious about what others do.  The article I'm writing is sharing a few tips for newbie scrollers. I'm suggesting breaking up the active cutting with other tasks so they are refocused when they get back to the saw.  the time certainly differs between individuals.  For me, it's 15-20 min.  I guess for the more experienced powerhouses it's more like 2+ hours.  🤣

Anyway, I cut the way I cut because that's the way I like to cut.  🤷‍♂️ 

For me, it’s however long a blade lasts.
My supply of blades are intentionally on my work bench, not by my saw. That way, when it’s time to change the blade,I take the blade out of the blade holder, stand up, put used blade in plastic pop/soda bottle on one workbench, take 3 steps over to other workbench, grab new blade, take 2 more steps, sit down at saw and put it in blade holder and away I go. 
However, there are many a time that I’ll play with the Slinky that is on my bench, or look out the window and admire the view, or do whatever!  I’m in no hurry when it comes to shop time. And yes, I do sell the vast majority of my work. 

For what it’s worth, on 1/19, I hooked up a digital clock to my saw. Actual running time of the saw is 17.4 hours. In that time I have made 3 intarsia pieces, 12 birdhouse ornaments, and 3 penny drop games. To me, it’s eye opening how little my saw is actually running!

5 hours ago, Travis said:

I'm mostly talking about small breaks.  Get out of the chair to drill a few holes, attach a pattern, sweep the floor, check my email, or whatever.

I guess I probably go a bit longer at the saw actively cutting...20-30 minutes max.  I never really timed it.  My setup is nice and comfortable.  I guess I'm not as focused as y'all are.  Maybe it's because I sit behind a computer all day for work.  When I'm in the shop, I like to get up and putter around and while away the day.  I'm not under any time constraints or deadlines.

I was just curious about what others do.  The article I'm writing is sharing a few tips for newbie scrollers. I'm suggesting breaking up the active cutting with other tasks so they are refocused when they get back to the saw.  the time certainly differs between individuals.  For me, it's 15-20 min.  I guess for the more experienced powerhouses it's more like 2+ hours.  🤣

Anyway, I cut the way I cut because that's the way I like to cut.  🤷‍♂️ 

This is true Travis and that is why as many scrolling questions are just impossible to answer and put hard answers to. You scroll till you feel it is time to take a break. Your body will tell you. I am done with any sort of time lines because I do not scroll to sell any more. So you always have to take those things into consideration too. If I go into the shop these days it is to make something. Wandering around I can do outside or at the computer. You better be focused when in a shop at any time. There are many things in there that can hurt you. My time these days are pen turning and lathe oriented. That too takes time but that is all done standing up so there is that factor as opposed to sitting. 

Everyone will find their own rhythm the more they do this.. they find out what works well for them.  

I can scroll only a short OP time and then need to get up.  I am scrolling less because of arthritis and other similar issues.

This thread is very revealing.  Two major contributors have mentioned some changes away from scrolling.  I really like scrolling and still do it but have also found another hobby.   Last year, I bought a 10 watt Ortur Laser Master 3.  It has been a real challenge but also fun.  It is less stressful on my body except for the computer mouse.  I do not scroll or laser engrave/cut for selling.  The mental challenge of the laser is what I like.  It is not just put something into it and turn it on.  There is a lot of background stuff.  I am certain that the CNC requires a lot of thought.

20231106_104628_resized.thumb.jpg.8fb7470104d3402acc7ada4cf6ef93ba.jpg

Edited by Sycamore67

14 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I can scroll only a short OP time and then need to get up.  I am scrolling less because of arthritis and other similar issues.

This thread is very revealing.  Two major contributors have mentioned some changes away from scrolling.  I really like scrolling and still do it but have also found another hobby.   Last year, I bought a 10 watt Ortur Laser Master 3.  It has been a real challenge but also fun.  It is less stressful on my body except for the computer mouse.  I do not scroll or laser engrave/cut for selling.  The mental challenge of the laser is what I like.  It is not just put something into it and turn it on.  There is a lot of background stuff.  I am certain that the CNC requires a lot of thought.

20231106_104628_resized.thumb.jpg.8fb7470104d3402acc7ada4cf6ef93ba.jpg

I see you built a nice enclosure for it..

I love to scroll so I will continue to scroll saw.. but I also love the laser as it can and does help with doing personalization on scrolled pieces as well as full on laser engraving / cutting projects.. My goal isn't to stop scrolling but it is to maybe cut back on adding "new scrolled items".. New stuff will be mostly CNC and Laser stuff.. current scrolled stuff that is decent sellers for me will continue on.. 

The laser is really simple to use.. but the CNC is a different story. I've been playing quite a lot in the last few weeks with the CNC... and I've learned quite a lot. Having bought both machines at the same time was too much for my brain so I chose the easier one to run since they both run on different programs and file types.. learning one at a time made more sense to me.. some smarter than me could probably swap between the two different drawing and running programs but i kept getting the two programs functions mixed up. I have a router mounted laser to fit into my CNC as well but have not tried that yet.. I Got fairly comfortable with the laser and the functions so now 5 years later I am trying to get more into the CNC side of things.. and because of that I don't have the time to scroll / run the laser/ and try to learn the cnc.. so scaling back on the scroll work make sense and I've been selling the trial and even some of the error pieces come out good enough for a sale as I learn to do better.. 

The main products I'll be selling will still be scrolled work.. and love to scroll so will continue to scrolled work until I get tired of it or can't do it for whatever reason.. CNC and laser allow me to run them while doing other things like packaging orders or drawing up another cnc pattern file, working on the websites etc... The machines don't pump out production like a lot of people think.. ( at least mine dont ).. a lot of sanding with the cnc stuff.. but maybe because of the type of cutting bits I use.. so many to choose and not cheap like scroll saw blades.. so just the cutter bits is a learning curve on top of all the programs etc. needed to make it work.  

On 3/14/2024 at 2:03 PM, Travis said:

You don't get up from your chair, that's solid cutting?  As in the machine is constantly running?

Sorry for a bit of lag in replying.  

I wouldn't say the machine is constantly running.  There is always blade changes, moving to a new cutting hole, things like that; and a few stops for the bathroom.  Otherwise, yes, I sit down at the saw and try to get as much done as I can in the 2-3 hours available to me after I get home from work and have the house chores done.  

Unfortunately, a character flaw I have is procrastination.  I can't deal with Christmas ornaments in July, so I leave them until winter.  Then it's usually sometime in November when I start making them.  Last year was 30 and not enough; so going for 40 this year.  Add to the procrastination a full time job and that in winter I usher at a theatre and a hockey arena - hockey every other weekend and theatre is absolute popcorn schedule, usually 2-3 days a month.  So typically no free weekends and a hectic schedule means do as much as possible in as short a time as possible.  

They all get made, done well, and everyone loves them so it must be working??

I find the laser to be very challenging.  If you are doing a picture, trying to process it properly to get the best result is a challenge.  I have watched videos and there is more technical l stuff than I can handle. 

I have also been laser engraving on ceramic tile and that also has a lot of trial and error.  You can also engrave on slate.  I keep a notebook of what I try and the settings.

I do not think it is really simple for what I do.  If all you do is engrave a name or date, yes pretty simple.  But, to get a crisp engraving or one with depth, perhaps not as simple.  You can make the laser simple or as complex as you like.

Yeah it can be tricky but once you do a few you'll get the hang of it. I did a whole set of drink coasters out of slate of a friends dog that had passed away but can't find only one photo. Then I've done ornaments from BBply. My laser is a CO2 so they are not as great for doing this type of engrave like a diode style laser is.. Also trying to engrave a black dog on black slate was a bit of a challenge LOL. 

121779114_3432358830176200_7797130031662987290_n.jpg

121799181_3432358793509537_7673593774957363537_n.jpg

icm_150x150.288310792_lx9itxc159wcwcg8s4go.jpg

icm_fullxfull.300020186_c7ydz0mopwgg04cwgg08.jpg

IMG_1986[8741].jpg

I generally break up my cutting into segments, firstly I only drill 10 holes at a time, I have to get up and walk to the other side of my small workshop to drill the holes, I then sand the back just to get rid of the burrs caused by the drill and then I cut again, fore about a hour, then I take a complete break for anything up to a hour before I start the whole process again. It works for me I’m working to any times he file but my own, I don’t rush, it’s just one hole at a time.

On 3/14/2024 at 7:20 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I couldn't say it any better than this