?- about the self stick shelf liner.

redwine

I do a lot of stack cutting, 3 - 4 layers, and just wondering if I switch over from the blue tape to this shelf liner what would I use to keep the layers together? At one time I used to use small brads to keep the stack together than I started to use the blue tape and wrap the layers together and that works just fine. I have used the 2 sided tape but getting the stack apart is a chore not to mention the breakage that some times happened.

What would be the best way to do this?

Erv

I use hot glue on the edges of the stack.  I just stack the blanks with the edges flush and hold it together with some spring clamps, then run a few small vertical strips across the edges.  This works best if the cutting is contained entirely within the edges of the stack and if the blank isn't particularly large.  If the cutting shares an edge, then you will have some glue to remove from the edge of a finished piece. 

A lot of good advice and the use of a hot glue gun I have heard of but don't own one, may break down and purchase one. I thank I will keep a roll of tape on hand for the stack cuts and use the liner for the one time cuts. I appreciate all of the input, I knew I would get a  lot of answers to the question and thanks to all for the info!

Erv

All too time consuming for me. Too much fussing . I simply use a pin nailer on the four corners for small projects. and for the larger ones a couple of pins in the waste areas. It takes a few seconds. I do it on an anvil and then go back and make sure no pins are sticking through, if so I tap them with a small hammer. I always sand the backs of the stack after drilling all of my  holes. 

Edited by Rolf

The double sided tape that is sold by Peachtree Woodworking holds well, but not nearly as hard as double sided carpet tape. This is what I use when stack cutting. I use several 1/2" X 1/2" (roughly ) pieces spread out depending on the pattern. It's best to place them between locations that will not be cut away.  See   http://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_jigs_double_sided_tape.htm

It's expensive, but you don't need much, and it lets the layers separate easily. I usually put a thin putty knife between them and twist it slowly, maybe in several areas, depending on how delicate the pieces are. I haven't broken a piece since I began using this tape. It works for me, but I sometimes will use pin nails driven in with a pneumatic pin nailer through areas that will be cut away, and then avoid removing these areas until the last. It depends mostly on what I am making, and how large it is.

Charley

4 hours ago, Rolf said:

All too time consuming for me. Too much fussing . I simply use a pin nailer on the four corners for small projects. and for the larger ones a couple of pins in the waste areas. It takes a few seconds. I do it on an anvil and then go back and make sure no pins are sticking through, if so I tap them with a small hammer. I always sand the backs of the stack after drilling all of my  holes. 

I am with Rolf on this. I use a pin nailer also. Use to tape layers together  but got a nailer much easier.