Latest Projects - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

2 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

Flag holder is nice, well cut!  The fact that you take time to stop and chat with the cleaning lady.....AWESOME, sir! 

Thank you.  Our cleaning people are people just like you and me. They are just as important as any NATO officer or civilian in the job they do at HQ. We all treat them with respect as a team member. Behind the scenes, they keep the place clean and sterile.  The restrooms are super clean and actually smell nice in comparison to other military bases I have been on.  

Not too difficult to treat everyone with respect. We need more of it.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:47 PM, jerry walters said:

Is there a pattern somewhere for this flag stand.

Jerry

Jerry

Here's what mine looks like with 3 flags.  Here are the two things I think you should do if you are going to do 3 flags.  First scale up 40-50%.  Next, for the two outer holes for the flags, I would angle 15 degrees outward, this will give the flags a place to open up.

Below is how this one looks according to the PDF.  I think I am going to make another.  I gave this one to our cleaning lady, and she was so thrilled.

flag2.jpg

40 minutes ago, rafairchild2 said:

Jerry

Here's what mine looks like with 3 flags.  Here are the two things I think you should do if you are going to do 3 flags.  First scale up 40-50%.  Next, for the two outer holes for the flags, I would angle 15 degrees outward, this will give the flags a place to open up.

Below is how this one looks according to the PDF.  I think I am going to make another.  I gave this one to our cleaning lady, and she was so thrilled.

flag2.jpg

Thanks Richard.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Looks very nice.  On more thing I would do.  make it so the American flag it\s the highest flag a little above the other two flags.

Actually, with this NATO display and any other flag presentation, this is one time the Flag protocol of the USA is not followed.  It's the same with any NATO flag display.

All 31 Alliance member countries of the Alliance are equal to each other and to the NATO Flags.  Even at NATO HQ SACT which is hosted on a US Navy base the US flag is at equal height to all others.  The only time a country flag is features is on "National Days", or other special country events and the flag is moved to the middle section of Flag Plaza.  Still, all flags remain the same height.

Below the first photo is a front view of HQ SACT FLag Plaza (I work on the top floor of the "Blue Cube").  Photo 2, The Sunrise one I took with my back to the building looking out to the North East. Photo 3 is from the middle of the plaza looking out.

nato1.jpg

sunrise.jpg

nato2.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

• Travis unpinned this topic

US Flag codes are really interesting.  Most folks have no idea how to raise (fast) and lower (slow) a US flag, when/how to go to half-mast (raise fully, then lower....same with lowering a half-mast flag), where/how to place it (blue field always to the audience's LEFT, whether on a staff, mounted to a wall, or hung vertically), what to do if it touches the ground (clean it off, then address the issue as to how it ended up on the ground...fix the faulty pole or mount, or clobber the protester), and what to do if its on a pole or next to a pole with another sovereign country's flag (INSIDE the US, US flag is higher.  OUTSIDE the US, poles should be the same height, or if sharing a single pole, that country's flag is above the US flag).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone. My name is Alex. We are a family of refugees from Ukraine. In Ukraine, my hobby was carpentry. I also kept bees. I really wanted to make something for the house in the shape of a hexagon like a honeycomb. I decided to make a watch. My family really liked this clock; it set the style in our kitchen. When we were getting ready to leave Ukraine, my wife wanted to take them with us as souvenirs. I told her that she didn’t need to do this. I'll try to make the same ones in the new place. We didn't know then where we would end up.

With God's help we ended up in Quebec. I recently made a clock and it reminds us of our home in Ukraine, as if we were at home.

20231107_213756.jpg

20231109_184405.jpg

On 9/19/2023 at 9:44 AM, Scrappile said:

Do you have a picture of that hooked up to your saw.  I don't quite understand how you did it.  

I do not have a pic, and am at work so i cannot take one.

The pipe fitting that is visible is where my vac system hooks up.  It points downward and now has a thru hole in the bottom.  The notch at the top is for the table hinge, and the hole is below the cutout in the table.  Everything is hot glued together and to the bottom of my saw table (so it can come off if I ever want it to).  

Since mounting it, I've cut almost 37 christmas ornaments, and no dust pile under the table or on the floor.  It doesn't suck hard enough to hold parts to the table though, but a stronger vac may do that.  

I will try to remember to get a pic tonight.  

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'll bite.  I'm generally just looking for things to cut.  I'm currently troubleshooting a clock before I build another.  In the meantime, a physician that I work with was retiring.  He's a chess FREAK.  The nurse that we work with had her husband build a bookcase for his chess books. I spoke briefly w/ the husband and said I'd cut chess pieces to top the bookcase.  Needless to say he'd already cut a crown for the top and given it to this physician. So, I pressed on with my idea to cut a couple of chess pieces and make bookends.  

What is pictured is the queen that "did not make the cut". it had a couple of imperfections that I would not allow someone to be subject to so I cut another.  

This was compound cut from 2.25" walnut.  The wine glass was included for scale.

Hope you like it

homebru aka nathan in Kalamazoo

• 1 month later...